Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RepRap images for Wikipedia and Commons

Posted by emj 
emj
RepRap images for Wikipedia and Commons
November 10, 2011 06:15AM
Wikimedia Commons really needs better pictures of RepRaps, there are some but please try to upload some more. The image on wikipedia of RepRap is pretty low resolution, but it's a good picture since the clutter is low.

I would like to ask you all to take a good clutter less picture of your RepRap model and upload it to commons, or find an already existing image and get it licensed so we can use it on Wikipedia.

I'll promise to get a picture taken when the guys here in Stockholm finish their Prusa Mendel.
Re: RepRap images for Wikipedia and Commons
November 10, 2011 10:01AM
Not quite a photo, but have a rendering of my Isaac Mendel... It looks (almost) identical smileys with beer
Attachments:
open | download - mendel_isaac.jpg (288.3 KB)
emj
November 11, 2011 08:52AM
Very nice, is it CC-by-SA, and can you upload it to ? That's basically what I'm looking for, but please upload them to Wikimedia Commons or put a CC-by-SA notice under you pictures/renders so we know we can use it.

I like it, that's a excellent of the structure of the Mendel, the rods aren't threaded which makes it look a lot nicer, and are hotplates transparent? I think it looks marvelous but I don't have the knowledge to judge if it is a good representation of the Mendel.

Someone just uploaded an new image on Commons, not sure if it was from here. I like the Tower feel of that one.
November 11, 2011 08:19PM
emj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Someone just uploaded an new image on Commons, not
> sure if it was from here. I like the Tower feel of
> that one.

Yes, that was me!

(I tried to keep the images "uncluttered"; my machine, on the other hand, has a quite "cluttered" look to it - but I like it that way. I don't WANT my machine to look like I bought it from an appliance retailer!)

I was responding to this call for more images of RepRaps, but I couldn't work out how to "Tag" the images as belonging to the "RepRap" category. Can you please post the instructions (or feel free to Tag my images yourself!)
EDIT: Never mind - they are showing up now - I guess WikiMedia Commons must be able to self-categorise images that have appropriate descriptions?

For the record, it is a "crowd-sourced" Mendel Prusa whcih I only recently completed, with this Filament Spool [www.thingiverse.com] & [www.thingiverse.com], this Filament Guide [www.thingiverse.com], and this RAMPS Bracket [www.thingiverse.com] (all of which of whcih I printed with my machine - yay!).

Cheers!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2011 01:48AM by julianh72.

Follow my Mendel Prusa build here: [julianh72.blogspot.com]
November 14, 2011 05:04AM
Hi Emj, I'm not sure about the uploading CC and wikimedia commons thing, and I don't currently have time to go through it, but yes, you can use my image (mendel_isaac.jpg (288.3 Kcool smiley) for demonstrating what an Isaac looks like. As long as it isn't used to someone else's credit.
The Isaac is a slightly rarer beast than other mendels - you very seldom see one. - the render does not include the extruder

There is not currently a heated bed on my machine - its acrylic.

Hope this helps
emj
November 14, 2011 09:32AM
Hey Julianh

I like them cluttered. But if you want to show the components of a Reprap you need an uncluttered machine. It's going to be fun to see if my friends get as good quality as you got after the calibration, hope so anyways.

Lucastar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As long as
> it isn't used to someone else's credit.
> The Isaac is a slightly rarer beast than other
> mendels - you very seldom see one. - the render
> does not include the extruder

I'm not sure what you mean. You can choose a CC license I recommend allowing commercial usage. I can upload it for you when I know the license, it's kind of important on Commons.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login