Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printrbot and SeeMeCNC

Posted by schorhr 
Printrbot and SeeMeCNC
December 08, 2011 06:21PM
Sorry to open a new thread, but I wanted to avoid highjacking the threads from each project.
As others, I am interested in gettign an inexpensive kit, and I stumbled across the current funding projects on indiegogo (SeeMeCNC) and kickstarter (Printrbot).
Strangely, there is very few discussions adressing both the projects or even compare the pros and cons (as far as it's possible without comparing apples and oranges).

Besides printed VS molded plastic parts, the major project differences would be
[ SeeMeCNC ]
-Optimized for Mach 3 (and perhaps EMC2)
-Parallel port required
-$149 less for the kit version
-Huxley-ish
[ PrintrBot ]
- trying to get cheap 3d printers available for schools, students etc.?
- a bit more expensive, but still very reasonable - and all sourced nationally
- Simplified design, kit can be built and operated quickly, upgraded or used for other reprap builds
- "Regular" software and controller solutions

Tough choice. I find the Printrbot concept very nice, both regarding hardware and motivation. I don't want to start a flame- or fanboy-war, but I would like to know to what conclusion others have come so far.

What I miss with both projects are media to show a little more about the print results and such, but of course, the project initiators have a lot of work to do at the moment...
Re: Printrbot and SeeMeCNC
December 08, 2011 09:08PM
Hey schorhr, John here from SeeMeCNC.

Did you know that we've been braodcasting live everyday for about two weeks now? I'm dialing in on the skeinforge settings as we speak, so people can use replicatorG's awesome software for the "CAM" side of our toolchain. I believe the print quality is in the skeinforge (or whatever CAM software you intend to use), just like in anything else CNC related. You can have a million dollar machine with every custom sweet function in the world, but bad code still equals bad parts!

As the saying goes, "garbage in = garbage out"

John "oly"
Re: Printrbot and SeeMeCNC
December 09, 2011 11:33AM
Hello John,
thank you for your reply and the informations!
I'll check out the stream once I'm on broadband again :-)
-Marcus
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login