Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Nichrome wire substitute

Posted by miso 
Nichrome wire substitute
December 03, 2011 03:24PM
Hi, can be nichrome substituted by kanthal, isotan (ferrous based) or constantan (copper based alloy)? All have melting point over 1200C, isotan claims good chemical and corrosive resistance. Which would be most suitable? Thanks.
Re: Nichrome wire substitute
December 20, 2011 07:00PM
If you are having trouble sourcing nichrome, you can get it out of an old hair dryer. Unfortunately, I don't know much about the other candidates you mention. The most important thing is that you need some resistance, otherwise you will pull down too many amps, and short the PSU. 6 Ohms is about right.
December 20, 2011 07:06PM
Anyone try gutting an old soldering iron. I would think the heat/insulation materials would all be there. Aside from running 110v to your hot end.
December 20, 2011 10:04PM
Why use 110V AC when you can use 12V DC which is much safer?
December 20, 2011 10:21PM
Lol, said Edison to Tesla.
December 21, 2011 06:37PM
jcabrer:

Unfortunatelly I don`t have suitable appliance at hand to source nichrome wire. I have finally bought isotan wire with 10Ohm/m, as far as I remember lenght of 30cm was recomended, so 20Ohm/m would be more suitable, but was out of stock. My biggest concern is how long will isotan wire last operation at required temperatures, but I will try and post results.

EDIT: posted incomplete message.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2011 06:46PM by miso.
December 21, 2011 09:04PM
It should work just fine. But winding will be a bit more difficult as you will need 60cm instead of the 30cm.
Probably it will work longer than nichrome, because the temperatures of your wire will be lower (because it is longer).

Is it insulated wire? If not, how are you going to insulate it?
Always measure the resistance after winding, and before hooking it up to the electronics!!!
December 22, 2011 07:40AM
No, wire is not insulated. I plan to insulate it using PTFE tape as described here.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login