Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Beginner Building Kit

Posted by merlijn39 
Beginner Building Kit
January 08, 2012 04:46PM
Hi everybody,

After a couple of months of browsing the net, reading forums, etc I have decided to build my first printer

I narrowed my choices down to the Makergear Prusa kit, the Ultimaker and the Printrbot(allthough I am bit sceptical about this one since it has not been tested a lot)
Any advice you guys can give me on which one I should buy ?

One important thing is that I do not have a lot experience with things such as soldering,etc.

Kind regards,

Lucas
Re: Beginner Building Kit
January 08, 2012 06:20PM
The Prusa is very well tested, widely used all over the world, easy upgradable and cheap to build and repair, you can't go wrong with that. If you don't go the self-source route, I understand the Makergear Prusa is an excellent choice.

You can buy pre-soldered electronics, though it's not hard to DIY. I taught myself soldering when starting out with RepRap.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
January 08, 2012 06:25PM
Depending on where you are based shipping and customs may get in the way of a given alternative. You do not have to solder if you do now want to, as there are pre-built electronics and end-stops.

I think that a Prusa Mendel is a popular choice for a reason. I'd go with that first.

And if price is a problem, this kit seems really affordable: [romscraj.com]

misan
January 09, 2012 03:38AM
Thanks for the replies

I think I will go for the Prusa. It is probably going to be a lot harder but more fun in the long run smiling smiley

Lucas
January 09, 2012 07:20AM
Hi , where could i buy a simpliest reprap. I need one badly smiling smiley but cheap, is there any about 100 euros or less ? PS i live in germany .
January 10, 2012 04:59AM
Hello everyone.. This Michael babaula, New here and searching for the important and good informaton.
January 10, 2012 06:33AM
@Dovydas: First of all, you might want to try the Deutschsprachiges Forum.

Second, you will spend more than that for just the electronics but if you have a source of wood you can build nopheads new Mendel90 design (or the WolfStrap). If you have access to some old printers you can salvage at least one stepper motor per printer.

I would say even this much of a DIY approach will cost around 250 €.

Good Luck!

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
January 10, 2012 04:09PM
Is the Makergear Prusa more difficult to put together as the Makerbot ToM?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login