Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Problem with generating Gcode for STL

Posted by wikisi 
Problem with generating Gcode for STL
January 27, 2012 07:42AM
hi folks, I've been playing with Alibre and designed something. Then I opened Skeinforge to try and generate the Gcode, but something must be wrong with my STL. Look: [img59.imageshack.us]

Any idea what all that means?
I've attached the STL file in case someone out there would like to try it out.
Attachments:
open | download - lid.stl (313.7 KB)
Re: Problem with generating Gcode for STL
January 27, 2012 07:48AM
In any case you need to rotate it -90° on the X axis if you want to print this without any support material.
You might be able to slice it then too.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
January 27, 2012 11:11AM
also look from the first error. your object needs to be zeroed, it apparently is floating and it is in inches!! (stl files have no indication what size they are in, just pulled it up in mm, and it was super tiny.)

skien forge hates inches. precision is just set to to 1 decimal place past zero by default. so if in inches any polygon below .5 inches will be nothing!

convert it to mm, or scale it by 25.4 then save as mm. hope that helps
January 27, 2012 10:53PM
Ok, I now know how to scale an object. Plus the grid is now set to millimeters (default). Haven't yet figured out how to rotate an object around an axis, or how to zero an object. Anyone here know how to do that in Alibre?
January 28, 2012 02:10AM
Get netfabb basic and use that for orienting parts, it's much simpler and you can also use it to repair stl's as sometimes the program used to draw them doesn't mesh them properly when saved as stl

January 28, 2012 09:29AM
The easiest thing to do is get replicatorg. it is strait forward. you can even center and zero part with one button.
January 28, 2012 10:54AM
@James: ReplicatorG is indeed easy. I rotated the part and put it on the platform in less than a minute. I also used ReplicatorG to generate the Gcode, apparently it has Skeinforge built-in. I didn't get any problems.

Now I just need a working printer for the ultimate test winking smiley
Which is being worked on. Gil told me to send my printer back for a replacement. So who knows, maybe I'll have a working printer soon. They've responded to my emails in a timely matter so far, so maybe they got the message.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login