Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printer host and slicing software compatibility

Posted by RepRapRaj83 
Printer host and slicing software compatibility
February 19, 2012 07:16PM
Hi to all on the forum,

does anyone out there know if there are any incompatible combinations of host software and slicing software?

I'm in the process of changing over slicing from SF41 to Slic3r and I'm having trouble when printing generated gcode through Repsnapper. I know Pronterface/printrun is recommended but I'm trying to focus on one change at a time for the sake of troubleshooting.

I digress...the problem I have is that the slic3r gcode file does not move the z axis or maintain the temperature when uploaded in Repsnapper host. I have tried SF41 gcode which works fine.

Is this due to incompatibility or is it due to settings in slicer? I have put a sample of each set of generated gcode in the slic3r section of the software folder in the forum.

if anyone could shed some more light on the situation it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Raj
Re: Printer host and slicing software compatibility
February 24, 2012 10:42AM
Hi, hope all are well.

I have been troibleshooting these issues and discovered the following.

The heater issue was caused by a loose power lead to my gen 3 extruder board. this was overlooked for a while as the power light remained on during printing due to the movement along the X,Y and Z axis. Tightened them up and all is good.

The Z axis movement was due to Gcode. during printing the Z axis speed was set at the maximum travel rate of 65mm per second, a bit fast...

now for a question....

Can the Gcode be tweaked so the z axis speed remais at a more manageable level. Example below.

Can this....

G1 Z0.800 F3600.000

be replaced by this...

G1 F60 Z0.800 F3600.000

or does the F60 command need to be inserted as an individual G1 command.

i welcome your thoughts.

regards

Raj
February 24, 2012 10:48AM
I was testing Slic3r and wrote an AWK script to correct the Z-axis speed problem since I am using FiveD firmware on Gen3 electronics. The author is aware of the problem but apparently hasn't fixed it yet (low priority).
If you want the AWK script let me know.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
February 24, 2012 03:20PM
rhmorrison Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was testing Slic3r and wrote an AWK script to
> correct the Z-axis speed problem since I am using
> FiveD firmware on Gen3 electronics. The author is
> aware of the problem but apparently hasn't fixed
> it yet (low priority).
> If you want the AWK script let me know.

I'm not sure it is a problem. Z-axis limiting should really be done in firmware. FiveD is ooooooooooooooooold. You should try Marlin, it'a totally awesome. You will be able to print faster and get higher quality.
February 24, 2012 04:08PM
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the offer. I'd like that very much. Does this require a certain level of programming knowledge to run/install? My skills are very limited so let me know.

Hi Pointedstick,

Can gen3 handle Marlin? Let me know as i would like to upgrade the firmware. I can get good print quality from FiveD, SF41 and Repsnapper (I know - oooooooooooooooold smiling smiley) but if I can get Marlin up and running then it would be great to see what a Marlin, Slic3r, Pronterface set up can achieve. Better quality prints produced faster sounds great.

I'll have to put this on the to do list though as I'm working on making a (if there's such a word) 'pointier' extruder nozzle. I have a 135 degree tip to match my 3.5mm drill bit but it doesn't seem to be enough as PLA seems to be sticking to it more often which could cause problems in the long run. .

Thanks to you both,

Raj
February 24, 2012 04:15PM
I know this answer will be a little ghetto but it should work.

Open the gcode file with your favourite text editor and use "find and replace"

search for

"G1 Z"

and replace all with

"G1 F60 Z"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2012 04:15PM by Sublime.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
February 24, 2012 04:20PM
Docs indicate that gen3 is compatible with Marlin.
February 24, 2012 04:59PM
@Sublime - That was my plan providing I could put the command on the same line.

@Liberation - thanks for confirming this. I will look further into getting this set up.

Raj
February 25, 2012 03:38AM
No, Marlin/Sprinter is not compatible with gen3 electronics that use a separate extruder controller board.

What you need is really only a small circuit with a mosfet to control a heater, and to hook up a stepper driver for the extruder. It can be made yourself, or you can look into gen3+ which works fine (with the correct pin settings, of course).

Last time I checked teacup have support for I2C, so it might be the best option besides fived.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
February 25, 2012 04:49AM
Hi Nudel,

I will have a look around for some details on putting together a circuit board for temperature control. I'm already running the extruder motor off a stepper circuit so if a temperature circuit is made, does this mean the extruder controller board will no longer be needed?

That said, I will give teacup a try and see how that works.

Thanks,

Raj
February 26, 2012 03:15PM
RepRapRaj83 Wrote:
> I'm already running the extruder motor
> off a stepper circuit so if a temperature circuit
> is made, does this mean the extruder controller
> board will no longer be needed?

Yes, you of course have to move the thermistor pins to the motherboard as well, but then it should be good.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
February 27, 2012 11:49AM
Hi everyone,

Quick update on changing the Slic3r. Things did not go as expected.

After running the Slic3r program on a pulley stl file, i opened up the gcode file, placed a F60 command in front of all Z axis movements and upoaded it to pronterface. the first layer prints ok but when moving up to the next level, the z axis attempts to move but then whines very loudly and stops.

On the Pronterface interface, i have set the Z axis speed to 60mm (although it does seem ok with 120mm) to match the command in my Gcode.

I think this is possibly an issue with 2 F Commands on the same line, so i'm currently seeing if i can tweak the data by inserting the F60 command into its own row.

Thanks

Raj
February 27, 2012 12:15PM
Check out slic3r 0.7.0 and the script in this thread: [forums.reprap.org]

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login