Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Solved: Slic3r PSU and Fan

Posted by bobby_rep 
Solved: Slic3r PSU and Fan
March 18, 2012 10:38PM
I've just hooked a fan up to my D9 on ramps and now my bed cant seem to get up past 120. If I unplug the fan or put it directly on the psu wires it seems fine. In slic3r cooling tab is there a way I can disable the fan while the hotend and bed heat up. I tried disable fan first N layers with N at 4 and set the min fan speed to 1% and max to 7% and resliced and loaded the file in pronterface. But the fan looks like it's still going full speed when I try to turn the hotend and bed to 230 and 130 respectively. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the suggestions guys. It was totally the fan drawing heat away from the heated bed. I took the fan off and tried the print. Fan ran like usual but the bed didn't have any issues. I'll put it back on and tilt it up and put something behind it so it doesn't draw air as well as a friend suggested.

Cheers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2012 02:45AM by bobby_rep.
Re: Slic3r PSU and Fan
March 19, 2012 12:58AM
March 19, 2012 01:08AM
Are you using M109 to wait for the temperature to be reached? When I use that my fan turns on when it should be off, which is a problem. That's why I preheat for every build and manually remove M109 commands from the gcode. Another option is making a duct for the fan so it blows ONLY on the hot end tip. That greatly reduced HBP cooling for me, while retaining desired fan effects.
March 19, 2012 03:28AM
What material are you printing in that requires a heatbed temperature of above 120c?

I found that above temperatures of 105c my prints got a little distorted in the layers closest to the print bed. They kinda shrunk for a few layers. Turning the print bed down to 100c fixed the problem.
Re: Solved: Slic3r PSU and Fan
March 19, 2012 03:59AM
Im printing with ABS but on glass and kapton on top of the glass with a Heated bed below. Need the bed up around 127 to get the glass up to the temp I need it to stick. I need a better thermal barrier as am sure Im losing lots of heat down under the bed. Using cardboard right now but the aluminum top plate still heats up a lot. I need to go hunt down some wool. Other thermal barrier suggestions?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2012 04:03AM by bobby_rep.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login