Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Finish of RepRapped parts?

Posted by jimford 
Finish of RepRapped parts?
January 29, 2012 11:46AM
I'm a retired mechanical engineer with a gas turbine manufacturing background. The RepRap project looks interesting, but from what I can see the output can be pretty rough. Is there ongoing work in improving the finish of parts?

Jim
Re: Finish of RepRapped parts?
January 29, 2012 12:02PM
Hi Jim,

The RepRap project is VERY interesting, just the thing for a retired mechanical engineer, welcome aboard smileys with beer

You can print finer layers and get very smooth results, but that does take more time and a well calibrated machine.

Some systems use a chemical vapour bath to smooth out the surface, I have been meaning to try a small 'fog generator' Piezo element to vaporise some acetone in a metal container, but have not yet had the guts to try it out.

There has been some talk about using IR lasers to rework the surface after printing, but no sign that this has surfaced yet.

Very ocasionally I use a small blowtorch to smooth out minor features, but a good machine should just give a smooth but layered part, some people like the effect.

You can also use sandpaper smiling smiley Works very well.

Did you have any neat ideas using heating or something else?

[richrap.blogspot.com]
January 29, 2012 12:13PM
Here are two things I printed yesterday, at 100 micron and 50 micron resolution, respectively:

The finish isn't perfect, but It's pretty darn close, especially on the 50 micron print.

There are two primary things that give you a better surface finish: Lowering your layer height, and ensuring that your layers are perfectly aligned.The first is solved through software, and the second is mostly hardware. I think most of the reason why you don't see more of this is because the RepRap community is largely focused on printing parts for more RepRaps, and these parts just have to be strong and functional. Surface finish is nice, but it just takes more time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2012 02:07PM by Pointedstick.
January 29, 2012 12:29PM
> I have been meaning to try a
> small 'fog generator' Piezo element to vaporise
> some acetone in a metal container, but have not
> yet had the guts to try it out.

_major_ fire hazard I'd say!

Thanks for the replies - they've taken me a step further to building one.

Jim
January 31, 2012 08:56PM
You could always dissolve some of those scrap/failed prints in a bit of acetone and either paint, or better spray that on. Probably best to do that outside though or you might have some problems hot smiley
January 31, 2012 09:35PM
Pointedstick,

Do you have a site highlighting how your reprap is put together, what electronics, what motors, what firmware, what slicer, what print interface, etc? I've been struggling with getting my reprap to print more consistently and with better resolution. Obviously the materials selected to create the reprap affect the outcome. I'm hoping to improve my printing capabilities without so much frustrating badly formed scrap pieces.

Thanks,
Mike
February 01, 2012 01:10PM
mmadore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pointedstick,
>
> Do you have a site highlighting how your reprap is
> put together, what electronics, what motors, what
> firmware, what slicer, what print interface, etc?
> I've been struggling with getting my reprap to
> print more consistently and with better
> resolution. Obviously the materials selected to
> create the reprap affect the outcome. I'm hoping
> to improve my printing capabilities without so
> much frustrating badly formed scrap pieces.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

I do indeed: http://techpaladin.com/

In particular, these posts may help you a bit:
http://techpaladin.com/2011/11/21/getting-all-the-pieces-to-fit-together/
http://techpaladin.com/2011/12/01/time-to-add-another-printer-to-the-mix/
http://techpaladin.com/2011/12/21/nathaniels-guide-to-high-detail-printing/
April 06, 2012 02:30PM
Smoothing ABS parts is extremely easy. Just dip them in IPS Weld-On 4 for about 30 seconds (or more) depending on the desire of smoothness. Then hang the part and let it dry overnight. About 20 to 30 seconds will not affect the finish of the part. The longer you go, though, the more glossy of a finish the part will have.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login