Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hello World...

Posted by Shroudeye 
Hello World...
April 13, 2012 06:00PM
(NOTE: I couldn't find an "Introduce Yourself" thread, so, I'm posting it here.)

Hello to all RepRappers. I am Shroudeye.

I'm an Architecture student, from Turkey. Due to my profession, I almost always need to build scale models of what I create, for studying and formal presentation. So a rapid-prototyping machine, especially a low-cost&self-replicating one is something of a dream-(to be)come-true for me. I can't wait to start building one!

I'm currently interested in building a Prusa-Mendel model, as it seems to be the "beginner" scale. My experience is... Well, I can quickly assemle an IKEA product, but I haven't got any soldering background... But who cares, I'm on for the challenge, bring it on!

More about me... As said, I'm an Architect-But that's not all. I also interested in gaming industry, and I'm an amateur level designer (And obviously, a gamer! >grinning smiley ). Oh and of course, making models are both a hobby and a part of my profession. And my deepest passion is to build a LIVE, fully hand-built Model Roller Coaster.

So that's me. I'm glad to meet you all!
--Shroudeye
Re: Hello World...
April 14, 2012 12:26AM
Welcome to the RepRap forum!
I am new as well, just getting all the parts for my MendelMax. Cant wait to get started as well

Jonas
April 14, 2012 01:01PM
Well, thanks Jonas, and everyone else.

By the way, I got a question: I was checking the plastic parts (on OpenSCAD) to ensure I got them correct (I found a guy who can make them for me). I've downloaded them from github.

It looks like I got the "Printable Bushing" and the "Coupling" different from what it looks like in the visual instructions (I'm using the PDF version made by Gary Hodgson).

Check the picture for details:

Now, are those parts have changed, or did I got it wrong? If they are wrong, I'd like to ask for their files, or some guidance to get them right.

(Note that I know the PLA Bushings have been changed, but since this is my first build, I'd rather prefer to stick with original plans)

The rest of the plastic parts seem to be okay. I've found most of the "Vitamins" for a good price. I lack electronics, but they can wait till later phases.

Thanks,
--Shroudeye
April 14, 2012 01:33PM
The Z couplings are these: [hydraraptor.blogspot.co.uk]. I don't recognise the other screen shot.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
April 14, 2012 02:05PM
Thanks Nophead. I'm cleared now.

EDIT: Forget about the "bushing", I found the correct file. It was the "Y-bushing.stl".

You'll probably laugh, but I completely forgot that PLA was the material name, not the "model name", and been seardhing for some file called "PLA bushing"... Total geek, hum? Duh, I never worked with plastics!

Anyways, that's been cleared, so I got the plastic parts ready to print. Brace yourself, Mendel, I'M COMIN' for ya!

--Shroudeye

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2012 02:19PM by Shroudeye.
April 14, 2012 05:41PM
How are the guy you know going to print the parts? If it is with a professional powder printer (which I would assume since you're in the architect business?), make sure you check the size tolerances on holes, especially the m8 nut traps on the x ends. Holes are often a bit oversized on the stl files we use since they shrink when printed.

The PLA bushings will also have to be in PLA to work, of course, so you can't print these parts on a powder printer.

I'd advice to take a look at the lm8uu (linear bearing) version of Prusa here: [github.com] It's pretty much exactly the same as the one in the pdf instructions, just upgraded here and there so it looks a bit different.

Other than that, welcome to RepRap, glad to have you here! smiling smiley

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
April 14, 2012 08:42PM
Hey Shroudeye,

Great to meet another new reprapper.

I am patiently ( tapping foot ), (watching the post ), etc, waiting for the rest of my parts to make my first Prusa.

I have the frame assembled with rods and threads. Didn't have anyone close to make plastics so made them from 18mm ply for feet and 10mm ply for stepper holders and y motor mount.
Extruder made from 3 layers of 10mm kitchen cuttting board.
Just downloaded the time lapse app for my iphone, so all I need is everything else. winking smiley Pic attached ....

Exciting times ahead.....

Greg
Attachments:
open | download - 3d printer bare small.jpg (330.9 KB)
April 15, 2012 04:41AM
Hey, thanks guys!

Well, the plastic guy is not someone I "know", I just found him when I was walking around this industrial area, where I was looking for parts. And looks like he's normally manufacturing car parts or plastic gears, etc. I'll have to clarify this a little, most likely tomorrow.

He also has a brother who is an academic, I can talk to him.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login