Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

belt and puuley vs all thread

Posted by GITRDUN 
belt and puuley vs all thread
May 13, 2012 09:23PM
I am wondering what the reason is for using belts and pulleys to drive the axis instead of just using simple all thread and a nut. Seems to me the all thread would be cheaper and simpler. Is it not as accurate or something?
Re: belt and puuley vs all thread
May 13, 2012 09:25PM
The reason I've read is that a threaded screw isn't nearly as fast as a belt and pulley.
May 13, 2012 09:40PM
Can you imagine the Z axis speed for the X&Y? smiling smiley

crutonius Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The reason I've read is that a threaded screw
> isn't nearly as fast as a belt and pulley.
May 13, 2012 09:56PM
speed

May 13, 2012 10:05PM
So in other words you can achieve a higher rapid speed rate using a pulley system rather than a threaded rod. That makes sense since the distance of movement in one turn of the motor is dependent on the diameter of the pulley which would be much greater than the distance of one thread pitch on all thread.
May 14, 2012 11:19AM
Backlash is a factor too. You can actually get going *fairly* fast with the right kind of leadscrew, but unless you have a complicated ballscrew nut, the backlash when it reverses direction will be unacceptable. And once you've gone with a balls crew, you've greatly exceeded the cost of a belt and pulley.
May 14, 2012 02:12PM
Speed is definitely the big thing like pointed out. My senior design team had made a laser inspection system for $14k with a really high pitched lead screw on the x axis. Lets just say it took forever to move 24" to the other end of the part we were measuring, but we were super precise and accurate.

Ryan
Quality Engineer & Hobbyist
thingsandtrains.blogspot.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login