Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rapcraft

Posted by mln 
mln
Rapcraft
May 15, 2012 05:24PM
Have a look at Rapcraft, which is on Kickstarter. A nice way to promote open source 3D printing!
Anonymous User
Re: Rapcraft
May 15, 2012 07:00PM
Where are the files?

Another open source printer that isn't open. Most, even on the front page still don't have all the files needed to build a working printer. Even maker bot and ultimaker still haven't released the files.

Isnt the point to open the files ASAP so the community can make the best machine?

I think you shouldn't be able to call a campaign or model open until all files (including hot ends) and supplier list are put in the public domain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2012 07:07PM by gerards1111.
May 17, 2012 02:21PM
That's a pretty slick-looking machine.
May 17, 2012 04:10PM
Pointedstick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's a pretty slick-looking machine.

perhaps, but at its core, still a mendel. Nothing new here, move along...

The description is so full of bull crap...

150mm/s to 300mm/s build speed? Who builds at that speed? maybe for travel moves but... None of their videos show anything CLOSE to that speed!!

THey claim stability and rigidity.. but with a printer wieght of only 16.5 pounds... how can they avoid the whole thing jumping around at 300mm/s? I'm guessing they didn't try that speed because that's what would happen.

For electronics... Sanguinolulu AND RAMPS?? How can you have both..

Print materials has the most bullshit... "support material"? what material, exactly? Ceramics? SO are they shipping with a syringe extruder? Doesn't seem like it...

They claim that their aluminum frame is super strong... but guys, it's aluminum. Sure maybe it's stronger than plastic but not anywhere close to "it will work for ever". Besides... The whole point of a plastic mendel is that you can print your own replacement parts.

> although the project is based on our design, we still want the project to be developed in accordance with the idea and
>spirit of open source. When the funding is successful we will opensource the design and software files.

Your design, eh. Looks a whole lot like the PRUSA MENDEL design to me. Well at least they make that clear by saying they support the spirit of open source. Not open source itself, just the spirit of it.

These "companies" make me sick. Let's appropriate the open source design and lie to everyone by calling it something new and claiming it has capabilities that it does not in reality!
May 17, 2012 04:43PM
This one cought my eye:

Lead time: one week

Either this is really really unrealistic and there will be massive massive delays. Or everything is ready to go, files are ready machines are fully hooked up and all materials are stocked. The first will disappoint a lot of people, the second means it is not a kickstarter but an easy to start webshop.
Anonymous User
May 17, 2012 04:56PM
What I don't understand is hy anyone old buy a bukobot over this? That seems to stand up on two plastic feet. At least this looks rigid.

Regarding sales pitch this and bukobot both seem to over egg the pudding. They are even selling a green environment friendly machine. It prints Plastic!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login