Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

arduino to stepper driver Question

Posted by snailFury 
arduino to stepper driver Question
June 08, 2012 01:58AM
Hello. I have a homemade machine, a hobbycnc pro stepper driver board and power supply, an Arduino Duemilanove, and a macBook Pro. My pc recently died along with my controller software. I'd like to use my mac and arduino to run my machine (and build an extruder). The hobbyCnc stepper driver board takes it's input from a parallel port DB25 plug. Can anyone tell me how/if I can connect the arduino to the hobbycnc stepper board db25 plug?

thanks

sF
Re: arduino to stepper driver Question
June 08, 2012 07:10AM
Not really. An Arduino talks through various serial ports/protocols, but not parallel. Even if you'd hook up this parallel thing to all the digital I/O pins, you'd need a firmware driving that. And EMC does not run on an Arduino.

Getting another old PC from the junkyard or replacing the stepper drivers with ones from the RepRap collection will be much simpler and cheaper.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

June 08, 2012 10:19AM
So something like this wouldn't work?

[www.aliexpress.com]

Isn't there a firmware for the arduino duemilanove that could be used? I really just need some way to transmit to the step and direction pins don't I?

thanks again
June 08, 2012 12:16PM
What you can do is run GRBL on your Arduino Board and make a DB25 adapter so you can interface your step/dir signals from the Arduino to the driver board. Look up the pin designation for the DB25 port on your driver board so you can match them with that of the Arduino(see also GRBL pin mappings).

There's probably more to it than that( Im just summarizing and I have not tried it), and assuming its a CNC you are trying to run( GRBL doesnt have support for extruders).

If its a 3D printer you are trying to run, there are some firmwares that would run on a Duemilanove but that would most likely be outdated.

The one you linked wont work in your intended application, it is used if you have stand alone stepper drivers(and connects directly to a PC with Parallel port)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2012 12:28PM by royco.
June 08, 2012 12:40PM
GRBL, ok, thank you, I'll look into that
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login