Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ABS glue?

Posted by epareja 
ABS glue?
June 13, 2012 04:20PM
Hello,

I'm building my Prusa reprap and one of the pieces fall off and broke. The piece is the Xmotor holder.
Is it possible to use superglue or any epoxy glue to fix that piece until I can print a replacement?

Thank you in advance

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2012 04:20PM by epareja.

Ernesto Pareja

dcctrains.netne.net
Re: ABS glue?
June 13, 2012 05:43PM
can you post a photo? i think expoxy should be ok,
June 13, 2012 05:44PM
Solvent cement used for welding plastic pipes works best for ABS. And you can make your own by dissolving ABS in acetone. I am not sure what the best glue for PLA is.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
June 13, 2012 05:50PM
nophead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am not sure what the best glue for PLA is.

UHU glue works really well for PLA. Gorilla Glue also works well for big parts. Super glue is not great as it leaves white residue.

[richrap.blogspot.com]
June 13, 2012 05:59PM
On a side note, nice train site! HO is a little big for me so I do N and Z, I originally got my printer to print things for my model railroad, just been printing a bunch of other stuff instead for now smiling smiley

Back on topic, yes dont use super glue if you want it too look a little better. I havent liked how the superglue looked on the plastic.

Ryan
Quality Engineer & Hobbyist
thingsandtrains.blogspot.com
June 13, 2012 05:59PM
Here are two pictures.

Will superglue or cianoacrylate work?

Ernesto Pareja

dcctrains.netne.net
June 13, 2012 07:18PM
where did they come from? there isn't much of a surface to glue to
June 14, 2012 02:12AM
That is a weakness of the Prusa design. The slots for the zip ties leave very little left.

June 14, 2012 02:44AM
I almost did this but luckily I heard it creak before it cracked wide open. You are gonna have to buy a new print, maybe someone here can give you a good deal.

As for ABS glue, acetone+ABS slurry works wonders, just dont use too much acetone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2012 02:55AM by Zimtower.
June 14, 2012 09:13AM
Hello all, and thank you for your comments.

Yesterday I bought 2 part epoxy that said works with hard plastics and it worked.

I just wanted to ask Nophead if the solvent cement is used for PVC pipes.

banthafodder7400, very good blog you have! When I start configuring my reprap maybe I'll contacto you for advice in setting it up!

Thank you all!

Ernesto Pareja

dcctrains.netne.net
June 14, 2012 09:52AM
Yes it is used for PVC and ABS pipes. It is mainly MEK I think, which is more powerful solvent than acetone.

June 14, 2012 12:53PM
Oh no..Tetrahydrofuran (plus a few others harder to spell)....... way more kick than acetone or MEK. It's dissipated into the plastic faster than acetone so the glue joint cures faster. the primer is to clean AND pre-wet the plastic so the glue can go together before the glue loses its solvent and makes for a bad joint. The primer itself will glue a van tail light back together and lasted for another 5 years.

Also a solvent joint is one of the strongest glue joints. When done right it will literally (almost) 'heal' the plastic. It's once again all the same material.

Todd
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login