Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Feasibility for High School Students

Posted by MikeGajda 
Feasibility for High School Students
June 14, 2012 07:52AM
Hi there-
I'm part of a group of about 5-8 students who are looking to build a printer as part of a research course. While we are excited about the project, we are concerned about its feasibility. Is it reasonable to plan three months to devote at least an hour a day to building it (likely Prusa)? Finally, we lack engineering experience, would this prevent us from completing the printer?
Your thoughts are appreciated,
Mike
Re: Feasibility for High School Students
June 14, 2012 08:53AM
First of all, brilliant idea!

If you buy a complete kit from a serious vendor, that time would be no problem at all. If you self source, it'll take many hours to learn about the different parts you need and avoid the pitfalls, and it'll take longer to order parts you missed and so on. So it'd depend on your budget.

I'd think that any way, at least one or two of you need to dedicate more of your spare time to research and troubleshoot. I'd also suggest you divide the various elements of the machine to each person (like electronics, firmware, software, extruder, documentation etc.) so you avoid doing too much redundant research.

Optimally you find a local RepRapper or hackerspace to supply plastic parts, as well as assistance and guidance when needed. With a mentor, you could easily build two or more printers in that time span.

Lack of engineering experience is no problem if you take your time when building and calibrating. Some basic electronics knowledge is required, and if you know a bit about arduino and firmwares all the better. Software/firmware problems often gives more grief than mechanical construction.

Depending on the tools you have available on your school, and the courses you take, perhaps you can even fab your own electronics?

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
June 14, 2012 09:48AM
Thanks for your quick response, Nudel.
We will certainly look into finding a mentor and discovering the software side of things.
Mike
June 14, 2012 10:21AM
A group of engineering students at my school were successful building a Prusa with no help or supervision. End result could be tidier though, but nothing was broken beyond repair in the process. They had great fun along the process. When in doubt you can always ask around in the forum.

Best of luck.

misan
June 14, 2012 04:29PM
I have made 2 available for schools here in New Zealand. I sent them some basic instructions and away they went

June 16, 2012 06:51PM
Hi there,
I'm 17 and I managed to assemble a printer by myself so you should be able to assemble it no problem. I too lack engineering experience but it didn't make much of a difference, as Nudel said

I would recommend buying assembled electronics to save yourself time and potential frustration, it is only a small bit more to buy them assembled. It took me about 3 days to get everything built and connected although my electronics malfuntioned so I send them back to be repaired( Just got them back today)

Take your time to research parts and make sure to check the reprap wiki for vendors who have a bad reputation.

Good Luck!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login