Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Repetier firmware endstops problem

Posted by epareja 
Repetier firmware endstops problem
June 22, 2012 09:56AM
Hello,
Yesterday I tested my Ramps with the Repetier firmware and almost everything is working as expected (heatbed, extruder hot end). The only thing that didn't work was the endstops.

Iwhen I send a M119 i get all endstop values in H state when ythey are not activated but they read the same when activated.

Phisicaly they are connected in the normally closed contact (NC).

In the configuration.h file of repetier I have the pullups enabled and the inverted logic is disabled.

what could it be?

Is this Repetier firmware recomended?

Thank you

Ernesto Pareja

dcctrains.netne.net
Re: Repetier firmware endstops problem
June 22, 2012 10:53AM
epareja Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello,
> Yesterday I tested my Ramps with the Repetier
> firmware and almost everything is working as
> expected (heatbed, extruder hot end). The only
> thing that didn't work was the endstops.
>
> Iwhen I send a M119 i get all endstop values in H
> state when ythey are not activated but they read
> the same when activated.
Good test. But what endstops do you use and how did you test. IR endstops go through a sheet of paper, so take something solid when testing.
>
> Phisicaly they are connected in the normally
> closed contact (NC).
>
You can test the endstop manually by putting a jumper on signal/gnd which should bring the contact low so a change with M119 is visible. I assume you have connected the endstops on the correct pins?

> In the configuration.h file of repetier I have the
> pullups enabled and the inverted logic is
> disabled.
>
> what could it be?
>

You could also measure the voltage at the signal pin. Only then it changes closing the endstop you can expect the firmware to see the difference. If it doesn't change your connection is wrong, hardware working not as expected or pullup is not required.

> Is this Repetier firmware recomended?
>
Yes :-)

> Thank you

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
June 22, 2012 11:20AM
Thank you!!!!

I'm connecting them as in this picture (Endstops Picture).

I will try the jumper but I'm pretty sure that the microswiches are working ok when activated because I test it with the multimeter. Is the pullup voltage level available on the signal pin? I've done internal pullups with Microchip PICS before, but this is my frist time with arduino (atmega processors). If I place my tester leads on one of the endstop pins on the RAMPS 1.4 i get 0V.

Just to be sure... with normal logic and the endstop connected in the NC contact I should be reading Low in normal operation (not reached the endstop)?

One thing I notice about the Heatbed: If I don't have the heatbed thermistor connected and the readings are negative (floating pin) and I hit the Heat On to the bed, I cannot turn it off. The only way to turn it off is to reset the RAMPS or connect the thermistor.

I don't know the other Firmwares but this Repetier host is a very nice software!!!!

Thank you

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2012 02:17PM by epareja.
June 22, 2012 05:50PM
epareja Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank you!!!!
>
> I'm connecting them as in this picture (Endstops
> Picture).
>
With pullups enabled this should do it when inverting is false.

> I will try the jumper but I'm pretty sure that the
> microswiches are working ok when activated because
> I test it with the multimeter.

I wasn't sure if it was infra red or endstop. With endstop it is clear.

> Is the pullup
> voltage level available on the signal pin? I've
> done internal pullups with Microchip PICS before,
> but this is my frist time with arduino (atmega
> processors). If I place my tester leads on one of
> the endstop pins on the RAMPS 1.4 i get 0V.

Never tried this. I would expect 5V in this case, no reason why I shouldn't see the pullup result at the pin.

>
> Just to be sure... with normal logic and the
> endstop connected in the NC contact I should be
> reading Low in normal operation (not reached the
> endstop)?
The endstop is triggered when the reading is opposite in inverting. So with inverting false, the endstop is triggered when the signal is taken to gnd, which is what you try. The only thing is the pullup seems to have no chance. One reason could be a short between gnd and signal pin, but it is not very likely to have this for all 3 endstops the same time. It could also be a connection problem with the ramps. You could try and measure the signal pins on the arduino without ramps attached. One last test could be an external pullup resistor for the signal pin, just for testing.
>
> One thing I notice about the Heatbed: If I don't
> have the heatbed thermistor connected and the
> readings are negative (floating pin) and I hit the
> Heat On to the bed, I cannot turn it off. The only
> way to turn it off is to reset the RAMPS or
> connect the thermistor.
>
That is because the temperature you get is negative so the firmware wants to heat it up. You need a
#define TEMP_1_PIN -1

after
#include "pins.h"

in Configuration.h to tell the firmware you have no heated bed thermistor. Then the bed is disabled.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
June 23, 2012 03:05AM
I have measured my RAMPS 1.4 and have to revide some points.

1. After starting the pullups give 5v at the signal pin. I could successfull measure the voltage.
2. You need inverting = true for your setup

So if you have no 5v on signal pin at startup check if your board is set to 33 and if there is some other connection to signal pin bringing it to low in your case. Start with no ramps board and measure the signal on the arduino directly to make sure the signal is ok without ramps. If it changes with ramps check the soldering.

June 23, 2012 10:25AM
Hello,

Yesterday night I could detect my problem. It was the 3 faulty endstops. I tested them before installing them to the holders with super glue and it seemed that the mechanical action was not affected. Only the contact. One of them had both NC and NO not working and the other 2 had the only faulty the NC contact.

I tested with the jumper and it worked ok.

Thank you Repetier!!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login