Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to make a loop belt from straight one?

Posted by karabas 
How to make a loop belt from straight one?
June 24, 2012 12:49PM
When I am thinking about changing sizes of the machine and won't use two Z-steppers but only one there is a problem how to make loop belt. I have a spool of T5 white belt from reprapworld and look for a way to connect belt ends to make a loop. There are several metal wires inside the belt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2012 12:54PM by karabas.
Re: How to make a loop belt from straight one?
June 24, 2012 01:23PM
I've tried making a looped belt myself for my Sells Mendel, and it's not easy. The main idea is to grind away some teeth on one side and the back on the other side, and then glue them together. (See attached pictures). The problem is the joint is going to be stiff, and it made all sorts of problems for me. I might have made the joint far too long, but you do need a certain amount of area to make sure it holds up under tension.

The shops that sell belts also have a special machine to join belts into loops. I don't know how it works though.

But why not just use two motors? It's way simpler in my opinion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2012 01:24PM by Nudel.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_6734.jpg (164.1 KB)
open | download - IMG_6736.jpg (147.4 KB)
open | download - IMG_6738.jpg (161.1 KB)
open | download - IMG_6756.jpg (36.8 KB)
open | download - IMG_6757.jpg (36.4 KB)
June 24, 2012 02:07PM
I thought Nudel's description sounded familiar, then I remembered that I did this long ago for Darwin. You can follow those instructions: [reprap.org]
June 25, 2012 10:37AM
Nice blast from the past there kyle!

Now when I see it, I remember I did learn it on the wiki as well. smiling smiley

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
June 25, 2012 08:57PM
Why not just go and buy a belt the right size here in NZ I can buy them from a local bearing supplier

Click here to login