Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

HELP! X and Y not syncing!

Posted by mlaerin 
HELP! X and Y not syncing!
July 16, 2012 09:50AM
When I print a cube, it will come out rectangular, at a 3:2 ratio.

All the belts are tightened and the motors are functioning. I am using a Mendel with Sanguinololu (loaded with sprinter) and running Printrun aka Pronterface. On the preview the model is appropriately square, but everything I print is skewed.

I've been searching for an hour and I cant find any kind of software or firmware editing tips to fix this
Re: HELP! X and Y not syncing!
July 16, 2012 10:01AM
Have you double checked your stepping in the firmware? If you tell X to go 100mm in pronterface and then measure, did it go 100? and same with the Y?

Ryan
Quality Engineer & Hobbyist
thingsandtrains.blogspot.com
July 16, 2012 11:14AM
X is about 100mm, Y goes to around 145mm.

I'm working with the firmware that was already loaded on the Sanguinololu when I bought it.

Attempting to load altered firmware onto the Sanguinololu using Arduino 1.0.1 returns this:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
java.lang.NullPointerException
at processing.app.debug.Compiler.execAsynchronously(Compiler.java:404)
at processing.app.debug.Compiler.compileFiles(Compiler.java:290)
at processing.app.debug.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:127)
at processing.app.Sketch.build(Sketch.java:1625)
at processing.app.Sketch.build(Sketch.java:1602)
at processing.app.Editor$DefaultRunHandler.run(Editor.java:1863)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also importantly, how do I change the stepping options? I've got a dozen different files so its hard to dive into.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2012 11:24AM by mlaerin.
July 16, 2012 11:33AM
Alright, I heard some rumors about Arduino v23 being better for reprap, so I tried it and this error doesn't come up any more. I'm going to look for those mm distance settings, but there isn't much help I can find in the wiki.
July 16, 2012 11:36AM
do you know how to get to the configuration.h tab? If so once there look for something like this within the code

// default settings 

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {31,31,1259,353} // X, Y, Z, E
#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE {500, 500, 5, 45} // (mm/sec) 
#define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {9000,9000,100,10000} // X, Y, Z, E

you will have to calibrate the Steps per Unit for each axis based on your machine since everyones is just a little bit different. Richrap talks a little about that here in the beginning.

I hope this helps get you pointed in the right direction. I'm no where near my printer so it's hard to give you more info at this time. As for your other errors someone else will have to help on that.

Ryan
July 16, 2012 12:02PM
I've just altered the values in the configuration.h file. Somehow I think they could have made those values more obvious. Thanks.

Attempting to upload the new firmware (on correct com port and arduino mega 1280? Hmm...) returns:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Binary sketch size: 47390 bytes (of a 126976 byte maximum)
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0xcf
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0xad
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, this is extremely, extremely unintuitive and frustrating. The entry for Sanguinololu firmware makes too many assumptions about my knowledge and doesn't clearly indicate how the bloody hell I'm supposed to make my Sangui, Arduino, and the bootloader work together... if that's even the way it's supposed to work.

My current one is loaded with a bootloader, but I don't know how to talk to it. If you can remember how you alter your (sanguino?) firmware, please help

EDIT: I found a supposed workaround in [reprap.org]

I've done what it said but to no avail. Cutting power, waiting 10 sec while reset button is pressed, and uploading until it returns "Binary sketch size..." does not seem to work.

EDIT 2: uurrrrgghhhh, they are using yet ANOTHER obsolete version of Arduino IDE. I'm grabbing v22 and hopefully it'll do something different when I try the same thing, but 85 megs will clog the pipes for a while. I'll let you know if it works

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2012 12:20PM by mlaerin.
July 16, 2012 01:30PM
....damn, still gives me this in IDE v22
------------------------------------------------------------
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0xcf
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0xad
------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone has any ideas, I am all ears.
July 16, 2012 02:05PM
I'm betting you have a bad solder joint on one of the micro-stepping jumper pins. This is causing the stepper to run at something less than 1/16th
July 16, 2012 03:29PM
I think you have to change the bootloader definition is boards.txt from stk500 to arduino, or vice versa I cant't remember. The Arduino IDE is a complete nightmare.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
July 17, 2012 01:45AM
Trying it again today, using the 10-sec reset tip only causes it to wait indefinitely after returning
---------------------------------------------------------
Binary sketch size: 47396 bytes (of a 258048 byte maximum)

---------------------------------------------------------

Now when I re-upload, it insists the COM5 port is in use, and continues doing so until I reboot the computer. I hate this software
July 17, 2012 02:50AM
Damn. I spent many hours of rage-and-frustration filled searching but I managed to connect some random blog comments and bits of wiki and found a solution.

for future reference, if anyone is altering a SPRINTER firmware onto a 1.2-1.3 Sanguinololu board, make sure the following is true:

+ You are using Arduino IDE version 23 OR 22
+ Your board has a bootloader (I cant help you with that, sorry)
+ You have the Sanguino plugin thing for your Arduino IDE, this is gained by:
- Grabbing this ZIP: [code.google.com]
- Extracting it, then putting the "Sanguino" folder into your Arduino(23)/hardware/ folder, so that the full path is C:/---whatever crazy file directory you have---/Arduino(23)/hardware/Sanguino
- You SHOULD have Sanguino listed under Tools->Board->Sanguino
- You MUST alter your Configuration.h (which will be a tab when you open the sprinter project with the Arduino IDE) so that it has the correct number to your board. The code looks like this:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
//// The following define selects which electronics board you have. Please choose the one that matches your setup
// MEGA/RAMPS up to 1.2 = 3,
// RAMPS 1.3/1.4 = 33
// Gen6 = 5,
// Sanguinololu up to 1.1 = 6
// Sanguinololu 1.2 and above = 62
// Gen 7 @ 16MHZ only= 7
// Gen 7 @ 20MHZ only= 71
// Teensylu (at90usb) = 8
// Printrboard Rev. B (ATMEGA90USB1286) = 9
// Gen 3 Plus = 21
// gen 3 Monolithic Electronics = 22
// Gen3 PLUS for TechZone Gen3 Remix Motherboard = 23
#define MOTHERBOARD 62
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Assuming you have Sanguinololu 1.2 and above, set it so the last line is:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#define MOTHERBOARD 62

+ Then, last but not least, you must EITHER:

- Hold the reset button down for 10 seconds, then hit upload. You may release the reset button when you see this: (with whatever numbers)
-------------------------------------------------------------
Binary sketch size: 45386 bytes (of a 63488 byte maximum)
-------------------------------------------------------------

- OR, you can solder an autoreset jumper on your Sanguinololu board. This I cannot help you with.

+ It should automagically work. If it does not, it may be because you forgot to sacrifice a small animal to it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2012 01:23AM by mlaerin.
July 17, 2012 09:28AM
I know the frustration! When I got my machine up and running it took a while to work out little bugs (not the exact same issues as you). It took a little while to get everything calibrated properly too. I hope youre getting stuff working!

Ryan
July 18, 2012 01:27AM
Yes, I'm starting to print proportioned things now, which is helping to motivate somewhat. Thanks for the help.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login