Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

gcode Execution

Posted by ajayre 
gcode Execution
July 23, 2012 11:35AM
Sorry if this is a dumb question.

I understand that gcode can come from the serial connection or the SD card. I also understand that there is anecdotal evidence that it is more reliable for the controller firmware to execute the gcode from the SD card.

Do any of the available firmware options support reading gcode in from the serial connection and writing it to the SD card and then execute it from the SD card once the transfer has finished? If not, why not?

Thanks, Andy
Re: gcode Execution
July 23, 2012 12:32PM
Yes Marlin can do that but it is a lot slower than writing to the card with a PC.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
July 23, 2012 01:38PM
I think he's suggesting writing to the card and printing from the card simultaneously, kind of using the SDCard as a big buffer, which I don't think Marlin will do.
Repetier Host actually converts the g-code to native Repetier Firmware instructions during the copy to the SDCard, but again you can't print from the file while copying it.
Both Repetier and Marlin Firmwares are VERY slow writing to the SDCard, several orders of magnitude slower than doing it on a PC, I've seen a single GCode file take 30+minutes to write to SDCard using Marlin.
July 23, 2012 06:19PM
If writing to the card is very slow then I don't think the card can be used as a buffer.

Thanks for the explanations!

Andy
July 24, 2012 04:40AM
Writing to SD card should be pretty much exactly as fast as the serial line. At 115200 baud, this should be about 12800 characters per second. In 30 minutes, that's no less than 21 megabytes.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

July 24, 2012 05:41AM
Should be but isn't. I think it is just sent as lines of G-code whereas it would need to be sent in binary with large packets and a sliding window protocol to get close to the raw comms speed.

Also I doubt the FAT library is optimum for write speed.

July 24, 2012 07:05AM
Using an external RAM device for buffering instead of an SD card would be quick enough...

Is sending gcode over USB really much of a problem? Or does only affect Windows-based PCs?

Andy
July 24, 2012 08:47AM
Serial over USB has latency so protocols that send small packets and wait for a response before sending the next one are slow.

July 24, 2012 11:36AM
USB 1.0 polls for data every 1ms, so you have to be sending enough data in a single transfer to offset the latency introduced.
In practice the host sends a lot of very small data packets, so the latency between sends dominates.
USB2.0 has a 125uS polling rate.
July 24, 2012 04:01PM
Firmwares that use SD cards utilize the SPI Bus interface, not the one or four bit SD Bus interfaces. This is a synchronous 1-bit interface that is accessed in the arduino by bit banging I/O pins, as far as I know. This makes I/O limited by the speed the microprocesor can generate the SCK clock pulses.

[en.wikipedia.org]

-Rob A>
July 26, 2012 08:01PM
My understanding was that the arduino uses the hardware spi pins (it does on my ramps), just that sd cards are really really slow via spi. It'd be interesting to know whether the bottleneck is serial rate/usb overhead/slow sd cards, so we could fix it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login