Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Missing/Dropping X or Y steps randomly

Posted by Gibbedy 
Missing/Dropping X or Y steps randomly
November 02, 2012 06:55AM
For a while I thought my head must have been crashing, but I caught my printer pausing for 500ms and then continuing as if it had dropped a few steps.. at one point I was looking at pronterface and the line count was going up but my head wasn't moving. It's random when this happens short or long prints. Where do I start with this... get a sd card to and print off that for a while to confirm fault?

Thanks.
Re: Missing/Dropping X or Y steps randomly
November 02, 2012 08:10AM
I haven't had that but I do get random disconnects - it seems that the comms is somewhat flaky which is rather poor in this day and age.

Printing from SD should show whether it's a comms problem or not and it's easy enough to try so that'd be my first step.
November 02, 2012 08:15AM
Is adding sdcard support as easy as ordering one from reprapworld, soldering it on my ramps 1.4 board and changing a line in my sprinter firmware? I was so close to ordering sd last week but I couldn't think why I would need it. I didn't have this problem then.

Thanks.
November 02, 2012 08:48AM
If the layers move, you're missing steps. If it's just pausing (this is called 'segment pausing'), and you get a blob, it's probably that either:
a) The gcode isn't being sent fast enough. Check if there are other USB devices that are interrupting sending to the Arduino, try using a faster baud rate to communicate (if you're on Ubuntu, you'll be limited to 115200), make sure other processes aren't interrupting communication, make sure electrical interference, ie from motors, isn't interrupting the USB (increases error rate - get a shielded cable). Unfortunately, the memory buffer in most firmwares is set quite small, usually only about 8-10 commands are buffered on the Arduino, so if there's a slowdown or interruption in the gcode sending, the buffer empties and it has to wait for more to be sent. I have found Ubuntu the worst for this; Mac OS is better, and I need to try Windows again to see if it copes; of course, it's helpful that these two can communicate at 250000 baud.
b) The gcode isn't being interpreted fast enough on the Arduino, probably due to lots of small, fast moves, as the acceleration has to be computed for each move. Make your model simpler (less facets), and/or reduce speed. This will also help the first point.
Otherwise, yes, try printing from an SD card. This will highlight if it's problem a or b!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login