Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anybody using Repetier Host ?

Posted by tmorris9 
Anybody using Repetier Host ?
November 08, 2012 10:45PM
I just read about Repetier Host and thought I would try it (normally use Pronterface). I really like the interface, gives a very accurate 3D representation of gcode with 3D view.

I had a design that I print a often that has little anomalies (6 parts) and I just figured it was slop or very slight mistakes introduced in the machine but every one of those anomalies showed up in the 3D preview. In other words it's in the gcode and not a random machine problem.

Also while printing it shows the process in 3D with cool parts in blue and parts that are still hot in red and variations. In other words it figures out how much of the model is still hot from the extruder, this would help in spotting problem areas where you need to cool it down.

I just did start using it so I don't know if there are any drawbacks to using it but have never seen it mentioned before so thought I would ask. Also it will hook into Slic3r or Skeinforge to act as a front end so you can slice and print in one application. I have not tried this part yet however.
Re: Anybody using Repetier Host ?
November 09, 2012 04:31AM
Isn't it more important how well it works for _you_ ?

To my experience, wide usage of something doesn't neccessarily mean this something is superior quality. People often use what they stumble across, first, and and do so only for that reason.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

November 09, 2012 09:42AM
It also has a very good plate compostion feature.
I use pronterface as an host software, mainly out of habit, but also because repetier won't run on the arm tablet which my reprap is plugged into.

But I still open repetier host a lot, for gcode preview and for making plates out of various stls.

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
November 09, 2012 09:49AM
I still use pronterface to talk to the printer, but I use repetier to view the generated gcode. I'm impressed by its feature set but haven't gone through the effort of actually getting it to talk to a printer yet.

In general the more I read about repetier host and firmware the more impressed I become.
November 09, 2012 10:00AM
I've taken to it in recent months. I like the 3d views, of both the object and the sliced code. The 3d view is also good for laying out multiple objects.

I use Slic3r through it. Works great. It brings your Slic3r Print/Filament/Printer settings nicely through to a drop-down on the host interface.

The temperature graphing is excellent also.

[numbersixreprap.blogspot.com]
November 09, 2012 12:10PM
i use it quite a bit my favorite feature is the ability to check the print after compile features, also the instant preview is nice as well. rep host is probably the most turn key solution for those considering making money with printing parts.

what i would like but it is not necessary is the ability to type in custom baud rates.
November 09, 2012 05:04PM
I switched over completely from Pronterface to Repetier Host months ago and I have never gone back.
I go to the Slic3r tab and hit config to bring up the full range of slic3r settings (I'm a bit of a control freak so just having the drop down selectors isn't quite enough for me). Then I load the gcode file into Repetier, set up the 3D window to give a top-down view and then drop down to the Visualisation tab where I usually pick Show Layer Range and scroll through the layers to check that everything is going to print as expected.

richgain
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login