Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

In dire need of advice - All prints +- 0.8 mm in a dimension?

Posted by Simba 
In dire need of advice - All prints +- 0.8 mm in a dimension?
November 09, 2012 12:50PM
I am printing with a prusa makergear v2. I slic3r with 093. All of my parts are designed in tinkercad.

When printing carefully (slow), I am getting parts that are always 0.8 mm wider than they should be on the exterior, and this would translate to 0.8 mm smaller gaps between print areas. This is completely consistent, whether the part is 10 mm of 100 mm wide.

Isn't there some way for Slic3r or the printer to compensate for this OVER-extrusion??? I change the "default extrusion width" and that worked for infill, but the perimeters are still way off. What I can't figure out is, is this some kind of software issue or hardware? I am convinced Slic3r is the problem.

Anyone else have this issue? I can get the right part sizes, but I have to do it by forcing my designs to be 0.4mm smaller (per side, 2X per axis - 0.8 mm total error).

Thanks!

Measure once, Cut twice, Print 3 times.
Re: In dire need of advice - All prints +- 0.8 mm in a dimension?
November 09, 2012 01:05PM
Slic3r is the problem: I should add, changing Default extrusion width doesnt help any.

Additional info ( Cube with 10 mm side).
; single wall width = 1.30mm
; first layer single wall width = 0.71mm

Extent (middle layer example)
9.311000 mm wide

how does this even work. 9.3 mm + .15 mm error (per wall side) * two per axis = 9.6 mm extrusion width. ? And yet, for a 10 mm part, i get 10.8 mm?
November 09, 2012 09:10PM
What size nozzle? 1.30mm single wall width would imply 1mm! Or have you got non-default numbers in the Advanced tab? Putting weird numbers in is a sure-fire way to get Slic3r craziness.
November 09, 2012 10:33PM
Hi! Thanks for the input. The guys at #reprap helped me figure it out. This looked to be a slicer issues, since I specified wall widths as percentages wrong.

The nozzle is 1mm. It makes parts so much faster and stronger than you'd ever imagine, and I don't get why it isn't the default. If you really need high quality surface finish, this isn't for you, but its not aweful either. I posted a bit about it here: [armanicreations.com]
November 09, 2012 10:58PM
i use to use 0.8mm, but it reduces detail of gears, and other precision parts with small holes, at least with the tech that was out there 2 -3 years ago. can you post a gear with the 1mm nozzle size? if you can still do thin walls, and slicer does the print then this is a few steps better than working with skien forge and dc motors...
November 10, 2012 01:04AM
James,

I could use some clarification (especially vs. dc motors on skien forge?). The differences between the 0.5 mm nozzle i was using, and the 1mm is 100% mathematically. You get exactly what you would expect with 2X the minim width you could get before. Right now, I get exactly 1.15 mm extrusion and clean lines in the Z-stack at .25 mm thickness. Above 0.5 mm it is much more glug glug glug. Nevertheless, reprap steppers have less than 100 micron resolution and can place even a fat line of plastic exactly centered with no issue. So unless you are printing miniature parts, or rely on single width extrusions, it should be the same quality and resolution as you can print now.

Could you send a sample gear .stl?
November 10, 2012 07:28AM
dc extruder back in the day we did not have stepper extruders or 5d code. but here is the gears to try
[www.thingiverse.com]

the issue i see that needs to be addressed is for thin walls. I don't think 0.8mm can be used for making gears.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2012 10:56PM by jamesdanielv.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login