Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

hot end heater problems

Posted by keithCl 
hot end heater problems
November 22, 2012 11:53AM
hey all! need a bit of advice if you can help me out! i am building the reprappro mendel. i am currently testing the hot end wiring with my multimeter. the reprappro instructions say that my heater resistor should be giving off just under 3 ohms but when i test it the multimeter says it is 3.9 ohms. can i carry on or have i gone wrong somewhere? any help would be fantastic. thanks
Re: hot end heater problems
November 22, 2012 12:04PM
check the resistance of your wires from the tester, put them together and measure the resistance. the wires are often thin that are in the probes. mine are 1.25 ohms for example. take this into consideration when then measuring low resistance, and subtract whatever the resistance of the probe wiring is.

for example my probe wires and leads have a total resistance of 1.25ohms

i get a measurement with my probe wires across the resistor of 6.6 ohms and i subtract 1.25ohms getting 5.35ohms. my resistor is 5.6ohms +/-10% tolerance that is a range of 5.04ohms to 6.16ohms. within my specified limit of operations.
Re: hot end heater problems
November 22, 2012 12:29PM
that's perfect so. my tester has a Resistance of 1.0 and the heater resistor is 3.9 so if i minus the 1.0 i'm left with 2.9 which is just under 3 ohms.
thanks for your help jamesdanielv
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login