Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gcode too big for pronterface to hande

Posted by Simba 
Gcode too big for pronterface to hande
November 27, 2012 11:13PM
My computer is crashing around 60mb file sizes. And this is only a 5" tall standford bunny with .25mm layers. What do you do when you want to print a 12" bunny and the file is 8 times the size? Has anyone found an alternative that works?

Measure once, Cut twice, Print 3 times.
Re: Gcode too big for pronterface to hande
November 28, 2012 04:32AM
How much ram do you have and what operating system?
November 28, 2012 04:54AM
One limitation of Pronterface is, it loads the entire file into RAM before doing anything else with it. As far as I can judge by my glance over the sources, it does this even several times (file as is, as interpreted, as already sent to the printer, etc.).

Short of improving Pronterface's memory footprint, you can use Skeinforge's send.py. Or use a firmware supporting XON/XOFF serial line control and simply send it with PuTTY, or even (Linux') "cat" command.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

November 28, 2012 11:41AM
I printed a 500MB file from Repetier Host the other day, 60MB seems awfully small for it to have crashing issues even if it were replicating the file many times.
November 28, 2012 02:28PM
Win 7, 4GB ram. Its also taking about 60 seconds to load a 30MB file.
November 28, 2012 05:33PM
Get an SD card reader for your electronics and print from that. It will improve your print times and quality, and removes the need for a PC plugged in as a host.
November 28, 2012 08:31PM
get more ram into system. i upgraded to 2gb from 1gb. This was an atom netbook with windows 7. works better, no more reseting system after finishing a print with skien forge, also repitier host no longer locks up on big builds.

may be something else if it is not ram, what resorces are used when loading programs?

is this 64 bit windows 7, or 32 bit. if it is 64bit then more ram may still be needed.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2012 08:33PM by jamesdanielv.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login