Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Critiques for a cheap rostock-like design

Posted by ricochet1k 
Critiques for a cheap rostock-like design
August 13, 2012 11:20PM
So a few weeks ago it occurred to me that we had 2 old HP printers sitting around the house, so I decided to try to build a 3D printer. Since this is my first real foray into electronics and mechanical engineering, I would love some feedback.

My plan is to build a short rostock-style printer using the main inkjet cartridge axis of an inkjet printer for each "axis". I'm not sure yet how accurately I can make these move because they are driven standard DC motors, but they do have a pretty accurate feedback sensor built in. I wired the oldest one of them up to an Arduino and I get almost 8000 steps from a movement distance of about 320 mm, which would be 25 steps per mm. I haven't tried the other two yet, but I suspect I'll get something pretty similar.

For the motor controllers, I'm building a custom solution with an ATTiny84 and an H-bridge out of MOSFETs for each motor. That way I can have each one handle any non-linear movement necessary, which should take a lot of burden off the master Arduino controller. If I end up having to use stepper motors, I can also program them as stepper motor controllers instead with the same parts.

For the hot end, I have ordered a "High Temp Mini Detail Glue Gun" which I'm hoping will have a small enough tip to be useful, since the ones we had around the house had a nozzle diameter of about 1 mm. I'm planning to tear the thing apart and figure out how to manage the temperature myself. The main problem I have with the hot end is that I didn't want to pay ~$60, but I also don't have a lathe or even a drill press to make my own. If it doesn't work I'll be looking for suggestions.

I'm going to need to build a bowden extruder, and I have a few little motors with a built-in feedback disk and several gears. I also have a small stepper motor if I end up needing it. All that's left is to figure out how to build some kind of enclosure, or at the very least a way to hold the filament and tubing in place.

I haven't decided what to do about everything else:

I need a bed to print on, and I'll probably get a PCB heatbed eventually.

I have to find something to mount the axes on, which is going to be tricky since there isn't much to mount with. We've got a bunch of particle board and 2 by 4's in the garage I'm going to try to use.

The ink cartridge carriages are oddly shaped and I need to find a way to mount the universal joints for the arms of the print head onto them.

I'm also not sure what plastic I want to use. PLA seems like a good beginning choice. I wanted to use ABS, but without a heated bed and good ventilation, I think I'm going to wait. I also have a pile of plastic from the printers that I'd like to figure out how to recycle, but I have no idea what types of plastic they are. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Re: Critiques for a cheap rostock-like design
August 14, 2012 04:08AM
Such efforts are always good, you might have more fun with building a proven design first, though. For example, there is no electronics dealing with DC motors and position feedback so far, one had to put a lot of work into getting this going ... to save some 20 dollars.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

August 14, 2012 11:45PM
I think I'm actually saving over $100 so far. I'll probably make a detailed comparison at some point. Another advantage is that I will get to learn much more about how these things work by creating one myself rather than just working off someone's well tested design. You're right that I would have more fun with a proven design right away, but I won't get the same satisfaction of having created my own.
Hello!
I know how to get infinite amount of second hand printers that nobody uses anymore. I am just wondering, if it is a big trouble to connect these motors to adurino and the software? Where could I find information about that and maybe you managed to do that already? I would appreciate a few tips!
Thanks!
Mat
January 01, 2013 04:26PM
I can't say I recommend this route for building 3D printers. I did manage to get an Arduino hooked up to the position sensor and getting feedback, but when it comes to printing, accuracy is extremely important, not just *eventually* hitting the target position. I decided that the strength and accuracy of a stepper motor is vastly superior to that of any kind of DC motor with feedback, enough to warrant paying ~$15 each for them.

As for how I figured it out, I recommend trying to find the part number on the feedback sensor and looking it up. I was able to find where someone told how they work. It's been a while, but IIRC, one side has an LED, and the other side has 2 feedback sensors that toggle out of sync with each other. I just hooked them up to the Arduino and used interrupts to increment/decrement a counter based on the state of the pins.

That's all the advice I can offer.
January 02, 2013 04:02AM
I have used an old printer axis and used the print head carriage as my x carriage via many cable ties. However I modified it to accept a stepper motor (basically I just drilled holes to directly mount a stepper where the gearbox from the dc was) . It worked really quite well, I used this machine to make parts for a proper axis, which does work a little bit better. The belts used in printers are fantastic though, you can drill out the tiny pull to 5mm and stick it on your stepper with a drop of superglue. Comes off quite easily with pliers.
January 02, 2013 05:14AM
One thing I will mention is that the linear rod in the printer I used was 9mm. I couldn't find linear bearings or even bushings in this size so was stuck with the bushings on the print head carriage which are near impossible to mount to anything else. Eventually I purchased some 9mm inner diameter bearings, removed the inner race and these are working superbly as some low cost bushings. I keep them very well lubricated, but see no sign of wear. There is zero slop, they really are great bushings!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login