Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

power supply chices

Posted by tattooedfish 
power supply chices
February 27, 2013 04:51AM
I'm thinking of power supply options and need some input. Im having some issues with my electronics (more detail in other thread) anyway I want to eliminate the possibility that my psu is causing the issue.
H
I really am leaning towards the 12v 30a power supply that has the terminal connectors

BUT....... the idea of exposed 120ac terrifies me and its something I don't want to play with do any of these power supplies come in a similar connection style as a computer power supply? I understand these are more for universal application and I can print a gaurd once I get my printer working but I know how clumsy I can be and I'm not taking a chance.
Re: power supply chices
February 27, 2013 06:16AM
From how you describe the power supply, I assume it is something similar to this one here.
I, too, am not really comfortable with having mains power cables exposed, so I bought a plug along with the power supply and plan to encase the cable terminals with a printed case. This has the added benefit that you can unplug your power cable rather comfortably and also add a mains switch or emergency power-off between the plug and your power supply.
Other than that, I don't think that these kinds of power supply come with plugs.
February 27, 2013 06:39AM
I think atx supplies are a good choice, they have plenty of power, put out 5v even when off and are easily controlled.

Plus no exposed mains.
February 27, 2013 01:46PM
Yes ugen that's the kind of power supply I'm referring to I was thinking of hacking just getting a case to completely enclose it
March 04, 2013 06:10AM
Why would you want to completely enclose it? Just putting something around the terminals like suggested in Adrian's Build Notes should be enough.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login