Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Has anyone upped the 12v rail on an ATX PSU here?

Posted by Phizinza 
Has anyone upped the 12v rail on an ATX PSU here?
March 06, 2013 01:52AM
I've been reading different ways of increasing voltage on an ATX PSU.

One way upped all the voltages together and I thought this may be bad for the 5v line feeding the ATmega. But if I'm only looking at 5 to 10 percent increase maybe it wouldn't be an issue? Any thoughts?

The other option looks pretty complicated to me, here is a write up [www.qsl.net].

I'm only looking at getting the 12v rail (which on my 400w psu is currently at 11.8v under load) to 12.1v - 12.5v range.. But maybe even higher if the MK1 heatbed is able to take more, such as 13v?

I would like to do this to speed up bed heat up time.

Thoughts?
Re: Has anyone upped the 12v rail on an ATX PSU here?
March 06, 2013 04:48AM
depends on how the voltage goes thru to the mega controller. is it regulated down to 5v, then heat would be the only issue. i run my systems on 19.5v laptop supplies, and a separate 10amp 12v lcd tv supply to heat the bed, the stepper drivers circuitry needs to be isolated from the system, you can have the atmega powered by usb for example.

i should also note the wire i use has a total resistance of 1.4ohms not including the trace resistance of the bed heater, and the voltage drop for the lcd supply is around 0.5v, it gets warm, but keeps working

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2013 09:02PM by jamesdanielv.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login