Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

anyone else having trouble editing the wiki today?

Posted by rrr7 
anyone else having trouble editing the wiki today?
March 14, 2013 09:08PM
Today the reprap site wiki does not want to accept edits that include a website reference and requires authentication by ReCaptcha for me. After an edit adding a website reference, it fails to accept the change and says “Could not open socket”. I have never seen this before. It accepts text edits though. Any thoughts?
Re: anyone else having trouble editing the wiki today?
March 14, 2013 09:15PM
also having trouble uploading pics, it gives me this error:
"Error creating thumbnail: /usr/bin/convert: error while loading shared libraries: libtiff.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"
clarification: I uploaded .png, .gif and .jpg pictures, but it displayed this error (above) in stead of the image where it was linked.
I have uploaded a bunch of pics and added links many times from this computer within the last few weeks, what's up with that?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2013 09:52PM by rrr7.
March 14, 2013 10:51PM
I found this forum where they discussed this same issue:
google.com/recaptcha
They suggest mostly 2 things- updating site code to circumvent DNS or host admin request to open port. Others say the problem came and went without action by them.

--------------------------------
#49:
"From what I can tell, the problem comes from the system not being able to resolve a host name."
#66:
replace----> define("RECAPTCHA_VERIFY_SERVER", "www.google.com"); to this
define("RECAPTCHA_VERIFY_SERVER", "74.125.236.178");
worked
#69:
"I was facing the same issue today. but i had solved my problem after i contact to my network administrator.

It is possible that you do not have direct access to port 80 as a organisation in which you are working has set up a proxy using a firewall system. so please contact your administrator before saying anything to google as we all depends on it.. smiling smiley

port 80 is used in function "_recaptcha_http_post" in recapchalib.php and the error of socket occurs on line 80 "@fsockopen" function.

I am using recaptcha on my localhost and it works fine for me. hope contacting to your network administrator or removing any kind of proxy from your server work for you all."
-------------------------------

Other issue: the uploaded pics issue would be a separate issue unrelated to recaptcha. I have no clue about this error.
By the way, I can implement none of these suggested fixes. -rrr7

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2013 10:59PM by rrr7.
March 15, 2013 09:33AM
A few people have said recently that they can't PM me through the forums because they get "Could not open socket” as well.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
VDX
March 15, 2013 10:03AM
... me too ... one new user couldn't register to forum or wiki - I've created a forum login for him, but didn't work with wiki confused smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
March 15, 2013 10:59AM
Is "Could not open socket” a local error on the users PC or a server error?

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
VDX
March 15, 2013 11:19AM
... I'll guess it's something changed on the server, as the server-admins recently changed the database structure after the forum crash confused smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
March 15, 2013 03:38PM
Yes, in the forum I linked to above most agreed it was some kind of a server issue.
March 15, 2013 05:08PM
The wiki still rejects edits that require confirmations and adding pictures to the database.
March 16, 2013 09:04AM
Sorry for the inconvenience, folks. The wiki is currently experiencing some "database full" errors (which aren't caused by disk full errors). It's worked on, but converting a database from one format to another takes time. I hope it gets resolved soon.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login