Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Newbie with some (hopefully) easy questions

Posted by Crussell 
Newbie with some (hopefully) easy questions
March 09, 2013 02:31AM
First off I would like to say hello to the reprap community grinning smiley I do not have a working reprap yet but I have ordered some parts to start building a Prusa (should be here by next week). So while Im waiting I've been learning how to use some of the software associated with 3d printing, mostly openscad and art of illusion. So my trouble is this:

1) I've downloaded the files on the github repository but on the prusa mendel wiki page it says I need to run generate_metric.bat. I don't have this file??? Can someone clarify what im doing wrong?

2) Also, it says that I need to have openscad in my path. What does this mean?

One more thing, I've only ordered enough parts for the frame and a few other things. Does anyone have any recommendations for the electronics and other things I should use?
Re: Newbie with some (hopefully) easy questions
March 09, 2013 05:36AM
Welcome

I cant help with the openscad stuff but for electronics I would recommend [www.ebay.co.uk]

Its a bit expensive but you get a lot of stuff (some you wont need but can resell) and is very good quality
March 09, 2013 06:08AM
1) Can't see the bat files on github either. Google turns up plenty of instructions to run them, but they don't seem to have ever existed. There are equivalent .sh files but those are useless under windows unless you install cygwin. However, if you open the relevant sh you can probably work out what its trying to do and do it by hand. Its just copying a set of files and then running openscad to modify them.

2) This means to make sure your PATH environment variable includes the location of openSCAD - PATH is what tells cmd.exe where to look when you type a program name into the command prompt. Without it, 'openscad' is meaningless when typed outside the directory where openscad.exe is. Can't remember off hand how to set it in windows, but google will turn it up .
March 09, 2013 06:13AM
Crussell
1) I've downloaded the files on the github repository but on the prusa mendel wiki page it says I need to run generate_metric.bat. I don't have this file??? Can someone clarify what im doing wrong?

What you have in the topmost folder is a series of .sh files.
For Windows rename these to either .bat or .cmd then you can run them.

Crussell
2) Also, it says that I need to have openscad in my path. What does this mean?

OpenSCAD is the script based CAD program which was used to design the Prusa Mendel. If you haven't downloaded it yet then do so now. Since you are obviously running Windows hold down the Windows key and press 'R' then type 'cmd' and press [ENTER]. In the newly opened command line window type 'path' and then press [ENTER]. The directory where OpenSCAD is installed needs to be in this list!

In your Windows Control Panel select System - then the middle tab "Advanced" or "Extended" and then click on the "Environment variables" on the bottom of this tab. Now you can select the Path variable in the bottom of the window in system variables and properly add the path to OpenSCAD. If you open a new command line window (shell) and type "path" and press [ENTER] then you should see that your path to OpenSCADas been added to the list.

This is necessary so that you can invoke OpenSCAD from any directory by typing "openscad" without having to know where it is located (you can always specify the full path to the executable).

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
March 12, 2013 02:16AM
ok sorry its taken me so long to reply. rhmorrison I tried doing what you told me to do but it says that "openscad is not recognized as an executable program or batch file". Any clue to what im doing wrong or what the problem is? and what exactly is this supposed to do? Also all the STLs that are in the files turned into CTLs (certificate trust lists) after I downloaded it. Is that a problem?
March 12, 2013 04:27AM
If it says "openscad is not recognized as an executable program or batch file" then the openscad.exe directory is not yet in your PATH. Follow the instructions in my previous post to add the path to the openscad executable to the system PATH variable.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
March 12, 2013 12:44PM
Excellent topic. I'm just getting my printer going and the first thing I want to do is print another set of plastic parts (because the batch with the kit are "iffy" and I don't think they'll last). Thanks. Bret
March 12, 2013 06:31PM
Am I missing something??? I just went to the open scad site and they have a install file for windows that sets it up automatically for you. Its 2 or 3 links below the one your trying to set up only issue I had when I ran it was I had to update open gl
March 13, 2013 04:02AM
How did you update opengl? I downloaded what i thought was an updated version of it but it didnt get rid of that message. rhmorrison I have openscad in my list but im still getting the same thing?
March 13, 2013 05:11AM
@Crussell: Please post the output ("path.txt") of the "path > path.txt[ENTER]" command when entered in a command line window.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2013 05:13AM by rhmorrison.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
March 15, 2013 12:54AM
PATH=C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live

This is what you wanted right?
March 15, 2013 03:27AM
PATH=C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live

So your PATH contains the following directories:

1. C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live
2. C:\WINDOWS\system32
3. C:\WINDOWS
4. C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem
5. C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live

In which of these directories does your OpenSCAD.exe reside?

I will ASS-U-ME NONE of them since OpenSCAD is normally installed in "C:\Program Files\OpenSCAD"!

If this is the case then you need to follow the directions in my first post to ADD "C:\Program Files\OpenSCAD" to your SYSTEM PATH variable.

PATH=C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Program Files\OpenSCAD

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
March 19, 2013 04:09AM
Ah! I finally got it spinning smiley sticking its tongue out Thanks rhmorrison. I do have another question though: How do I update OpenGL?
March 19, 2013 04:20AM
How to Update OpenGL Drivers
Downloading OpenGL

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login