Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What would be a good upgrade for my hot end?

Posted by hendo420 
What would be a good upgrade for my hot end?
March 19, 2013 07:26AM
This is the printer I have. [makemendel.com]

This hot end has issues, It doesnt hold temp when printing fast and It jams often.

I'm looking for something I can have at my house and ready to print in under a week if possible. I've looked at the hot ends from china on ebay and they are a good price but I cant wait a month for shipping. 1.75mm filament prefered.

Sugestions?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2013 07:27AM by hendo420.
Re: What would be a good upgrade for my hot end?
March 19, 2013 07:31AM
How fast are you trying to print?
ABS or PLA?
What hotend temperature are you using?

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
March 19, 2013 11:09AM
The current PLA I have needs 225c to look good. My current speeds are 65 perimeter and 90 fill.

I can go higher speeds on lower prints but if I go higher on larger prints I end up with a hot end cooling down during printing causing problems.

The resistor in the hot end is 3w, its only 4.5mm, all of the resistors I have found that are possible upgrades are 5.5mm so cant find an upgrade that will fit. I just want to get a hot end to replace this shoddy thing.
March 19, 2013 11:33AM
I am not sure of the size of the resistor, but check this one out. Lulzbot 6.8 Ohm resistor
March 19, 2013 12:25PM
try insulating the heater block. I wrapped my jhead in about 20 layers of ptfe plumbers tape, then a bit of kapton to hold it together. much more consistant temperature now. Might work for you too.
March 20, 2013 04:57AM
That looks like an old jhead design in the photo. The mk5 is fantastic and I would thoroughly recommend - however it is much shorter so you will need to work out if this is ok!
March 20, 2013 05:16AM
shorter is fine as long as the heat is under controll, Ive got 2 fans on my hot end to stop jams atm.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login