Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Any experience with an IHS Turboflex hotend

Posted by bytemedwb 
Any experience with an IHS Turboflex hotend
April 01, 2013 11:17PM
Hi all:
I purchased one of these a couple months back off Ebay because it looked so cool and I liked the idea of being able
to change my nozzle without disassembling the extruder. (Here is the link to the item on Ebay:
[cgi.ebay.com] ).

My J-Head MK V clogged so I decided to give this one a try.
My SLIC3R 0.9.8 setting from the J-head worked but the walls on
the thin-wall calibration piece were very blobby and not not
consistent. I have tried playing with extrusion multiplier, retraction settings, speed, and several
other settings. No dice on a good print.

Does anyone have any recommended SLIC3R settings for this hotend?

Any experience or advice on configuring it?

THanks.
Re: Any experience with an IHS Turboflex hotend
April 03, 2013 12:04PM
I don't have an answer for you but it would help knowing what material you are printing, what temp and if you have a fan blowing on the hot end.
April 03, 2013 01:21PM
Whenever you change something (hot ends, nozzles, filament) it is best practice to do a single wall extrusion test to see if the theoretical wall thickness in slic3r (.5 nozzle is usually .7mm wide) matches reality. From there you can either adjust your e-steps in the firmware or adjust the extrusion ratio in slic3r to fix this.
April 03, 2013 05:09PM
My old hot end was set up for ABS and printing @225C.
All these failures were with the single wall calibration object.

I have tried this hot end at temps ranging from 205C-235C (before I realized I had a thermistor issue).
I have also tried adjusting the extrusion ratio (from 0.75 - 1.1).
I do not currently have a fan on it.

I did find out (talking to the seller of the hot end) that the installed thermistor is not one of the
standard ones in my Marlin firmware. I created a new thermistor table for this hot end from
the specs provided by the seller (although I do not have the exact manufactor model and associated data sheet).

It looks like having more correct temps helps some but I still have not been able to get it calibrated
to get the quality I was getting with my old J-HEAD.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login