Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

printing for optical properties

Posted by dissidence 
printing for optical properties
April 18, 2013 01:25PM
found this video on google+ today, i thought it has a interesting idea behind it, http://youtu.be/eTeXTbXA6-Y

i wonder if we could do stuff like this with acrylic, could make for some interesting devices.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
Re: printing for optical properties
April 18, 2013 01:46PM
PC is often used for cheap optical fibers (ex. TOSLink). PC is now widely available for 3D printing. Discuss.

Though I would like to see if SLA might work for lenses as I imagine it makes objects with few inclusions.
April 18, 2013 01:49PM
It looks to me that they are using some sort of resin for the print, I'd think the issue with just depositing PC filament would be getting optical clarity where it's needed.

My blog [3dprinterhell.blogspot.com]
April 18, 2013 01:52PM
even if it were not clear i think we could do some interesting things with it. but its still a neat video.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
April 18, 2013 03:55PM
i think you can vapor smooth pc so it could work.
April 18, 2013 04:04PM
The issue though is on the inside of the print, what they are doing is introducing what I think are airbubbles to refract the light.
That requires you to be able to print something with uniform optical properties to start with.

My blog [3dprinterhell.blogspot.com]
April 18, 2013 04:18PM
Maybe we should be focusing on 3d printed optical circuits instead of traditional electrical circuits.
April 18, 2013 04:23PM
wait i haz an idea, what if you varied the layer height within one layer, then you can make a lense.
April 18, 2013 04:45PM
you know i never thought of that idea, it could be interesting to look into, i wonder how you could get logic circuits to work, but none the less i do think it could work.

jzatopa Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe we should be focusing on 3d printed optical
> circuits instead of traditional electrical
> circuits.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login