Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pen Plotter Shading - Help

Posted by mesquka 
Pen Plotter Shading - Help
May 03, 2013 09:55AM
I've been working on making a pen plotter which I might add a z axis to in the future, but I'm just trying to get a basic 2D one done. I've got one (half) built based on this: [www.instructables.com]

I've made a few modifications to the design (using metal dowels to reduce friction, better belt system, better pen mount), but the basic idea is the same, I'm using the reprap firmware as a gcode interpreter for it.

I'm trying to replicate hand drawn sketches with it, how would I go about implementing shading? I don't really care about time problems with shading.

Any Ideas?
VDX
Re: Pen Plotter Shading - Help
May 03, 2013 11:17AM
... it's normally done with hatches or point-clouds of different density for different 'shades of grey' ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
May 03, 2013 11:19AM
How would I implement hatches? Is there a software capable of that output?
VDX
May 03, 2013 11:24AM
... in my beginnings with CNC-milling (around 1986) I had to program a CAD/CAM on my own, as there were no programs for Atari ST on the market - there I've included splines/beziers and hatch-filling of enclosed areas. Eventually I can extract the coding from the old programs confused smiley

Actually you can search for programs converting bitmaps for CNC-drilling - they calculate the point-density accordingly ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

May 03, 2013 11:28AM
Can someone give me an example of a program that can do this?
VDX
May 03, 2013 04:08PM
... google for "bmp2cnc" or "bmp2dxf" or similar names - there are tons of dithering tools/programs around ...

Viktor
--------

May 03, 2013 05:59PM
[vimeo.com], the pencil is held much like a hand and rotates to overcome wear, I think I
used DotG or some other free software and Mach3

Random Precision
May 03, 2013 09:12PM
I'm using a mac tongue sticking out smiley any programs that do this for mac?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login