Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tensile strength tests?

Posted by tmorris9 
Tensile strength tests?
May 03, 2013 07:45PM
Is there any data on ABS printed part tensile strength?

I know there are a lot of variables but I am about to start selling some printed parts and need to know they will hold up to the abuse they will take. I already plan on doing some destructive testing but wondered if there was already any data out there that I could look at.

Also any UV exposure data to see how parts will act with exposure outside in UV light over time. I know color can make a big difference here as pretty much all Zip Ties that are UV rated are black and I am fine with that.

As mentioned I am planning tests of my own but it would also be helpful if there are any test results already done.

Thanks!
Re: Tensile strength tests?
May 03, 2013 08:05PM
I guess the color has influence on that, and it depends a lot on the manufacturers that make it too. Each ABS plastic has it's own 'blend' and the Chinese types out there still give me a creepy feeling. Some of the filaments I've tried had more intense fumes than others and some filaments didn't at all melt that well so I can imagine it's virtually impossible to make a 'general' data chart. But it should be possible for each manufacturer to list at least some of the qualities.

For example, this dutch vendor shows some data at the bottom of the page:
[www.formfutura.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2013 08:05PM by Ohmarinus.
May 03, 2013 08:14PM
I am mostly interest in the pull strength it takes to break a product (tensile) I would imagine the bond between layers would be the weak point.

I was going to buy a cheap scale that shows maximum weight when it breaks but I guess ones that register the maximum are not cheap.

As an example I can buy a 100lb digital hanging scale for $20 but a 100lb dyno (that does register breaking strength) is closer to $1,000.

Old analog ones use to have the needle just push another pointer around and that would give a static reading but I can't seem to find a small one like that anymore.
May 04, 2013 02:54AM
your better off with a loadcell and a datalogger, or daq

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

May 04, 2013 08:02AM
You can use something as simple as bucket and slowly pour water into it.
May 05, 2013 02:57AM
Just wanted to show an example 50x magnification shot of a shear break as well as the side print. Just sharing in case anyone is curious.
Attachments:
open | download - 50xbreak.jpg (75.6 KB)
open | download - 50xprintexample.jpg (73.3 KB)
May 05, 2013 04:33AM
Destructive testing is really the only way. You need to test:
  • the specific parts
  • how they are likely to suffer damage
  • printed in the plastic you are going to use
  • on your machine
  • with the settings you have chosen

Change any of these and it just becomes guesswork.
May 06, 2013 04:47AM
Interesting question..

I have been struggeling with bad layer adhersion, for quite some time, and I think that I have finally solved the problem, but I dont really know, as I haven't found any strenght data on parts printed on other printers to compare with.

It would be interesting to have a set of standard parts, and some standard methods of destroying them. So you would know how the parts printed on your own printer, compare against parts printed elsewhere.

An examble could be a bar 1x1x5 cm printed with 0.25x0.6mm layers and 10% infill and 2 permieters, tested both for pulling and breaking strength. The bucket and water method sounds like the way to go.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login