Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Upscaling the buildplatform

Posted by axiom 
Upscaling the buildplatform
May 12, 2013 09:35AM
Hi,

Is it possible to upscale the reprap buildplatform? I would like to print objects of 1meter x 1meter x 1meter

Thanks for any pointers,
Marco
Re: Upscaling the buildplatform
May 12, 2013 10:01AM
It is technically possible, but practically, you would need to add a heated chamber to combat warp. Most of the RepRap operators seem to agree that building a huge machine is not worth it because of the complications. If you print in ABS, you can also make smaller parts and glue them together with acetone, by the way.

And just to give you a perspective about the warp issue: ABS has a shrinkage of 0.4 - 0.9% when cooling down. So that would make 4 to 9 mm size difference between what you extrude and how your object will turn out (EDIT: when printing an object with a 1m diameter).
This looks like it will curl up from the bed like mad without an adequate heated chamber (a heated bed only will not help you much since the middle layers of the object will cool down before the bottom layers and pull the corners of the bottom up by shrinking).

There is this huge printer, Kamermaker, that seems to get away with huge prints, but I guess they are mostly printing slender, hollow objects.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2013 06:02PM by uGen.
Re: Upscaling the buildplatform
May 13, 2013 03:44PM
Not the outcome I was hoping for but a great answer which makes perfect sense. Thanks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login