Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Connecting 3mm ABS pieces together

Posted by tmorris9 
Connecting 3mm ABS pieces together
May 16, 2013 01:16AM
Has anyone had success in stringing together different colors of 3mm ABS in order to make a rainbow like print.

I tried one time to just dip the ends in acetone and holding them together but that failed miserably. I see RichRap made a hot jig for doing this to PLA but not sure if something like this would work with ABS.

I would like to make use of end of roll pieces as well as experiment with multi colored prints.

Thanks!
Re: Connecting 3mm ABS pieces together
May 16, 2013 01:42AM
Re: Connecting 3mm ABS pieces together
May 16, 2013 08:54PM
So I did a bunch of testing last night using several methods to attach ABS filament together using heat (instead of ABS) Tensile strength of the joint was always good but the joint was always very stiff and brittle and if bent slightly it would break. It's fragile enough that if you had say 10' of it and had say 5 connections that I doubt that it would survive un-coiling during printing.

Even just heating filament (no connection) until it was soft, then letting it cool had the same effect, it would snap easily. I tried many heat amounts using several methods. Any ideas on making it less brittle? The filament is not brittle by nature and it was heated to be extruded. Maybe the temperature is just to critical to use a mini torch or hot blade (like used to slice Styrofoam.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login