Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Temperature settings

Posted by Eleenwhite 
Temperature settings
June 06, 2013 11:15PM
I'm new here, so to start I work with PLA on a MakerBot Replicator 2.

I'm still learning tricks and techniques, but I am curious about proper temperature settings. I did a quick google search on how to tell if you're using the right temperatures, and didn't find anything. So, now I'm here! I've always had a problem with the filament leaking out while heating up before a print. Not sure if that's something that happens normally, or if that means my temperature is too high. Prints come out fine, but on some I get a little stringage. If I'm doing a single item with not too much variation, prints come out great.

I read on SainSmart's listing that their melting temp is lower than others, so I've been trying lower temperatures for the first time. I'm making a Tardis ring topper with this new blue filament from SainSmart, but when I make more than one, it gets a little stringy.

This is how the first one came out. Single Tardis topper printed on high at 100% infill, 1 shell, .10 mm layer height, 220 C temperature, 80 mm/s while extruding, and 150 mm/s while traveling.

I was happy with the results, although in the high quality picture you can see the flaws. So I went and made a group of 5 to print together. This was where the problems came about. I had to relevel the build plate because it was a bit uneven from a different print we were messing with, but here's the second run.

I printed this one with the same settings except I went to a temperature of 215 C, trying to make sure there was no stringing.

Just looking to see if anyone has some tricks, ideas, or anything to help me out. Anything would be appreciated!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2013 11:24PM by Eleenwhite.
Re: Temperature settings
June 06, 2013 11:19PM
are there default settings for pla for makerbot? I'd go with what the company recommends. there are tricks that can be used, such as lowering temp as low as possible where extruder still flows, printing with retraction enabled.

do some google searches for reprap retraction.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login