Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Why is the bed sprung?

Posted by Dave S 
Why is the bed sprung?
June 10, 2013 03:46AM
Hi All,
Ive done a search, but couldn't find an answer, so here is a question:

Why is the Bed on springs? I have a Huxley from RRP, and I cant see the need for them.

Anyone know why?

Dave
Re: Why is the bed sprung?
June 10, 2013 03:49AM
Easier leveling I believe.
VDX
June 10, 2013 04:01AM
... more for a little chance to survive minor 'head-crashes' due to positioning errors ... or the nozzle ploughing through excess plastic winking smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
June 10, 2013 09:47AM
If they *really* want to make it convenient it should have has thumb wheels though. Nophead mentioned that his bed is mounted rigidly.

I have designed rigid attachers for my heated bed. However, i kindah want to measure the effect of the bed with the springs first. Trying a hollow block with just 1 perimeter, hoping to see wobble on that perimeter, but get blobbiness on the corners instead..(And the effect of wobble seems really small, so i might not even try the rigid attachment..)

Anyway the rigid version is much less easy to calibrate, basically you have to mess with tape.. I suppose i should have tried a trapped-nut approach to rigidly attaching, but i dont think it needs to be calibrated often. Usually it goes out of calibration because the two z-threaded rods arent at the same height,which can be fixed by rotating them manually.(Carefully, with the motors off.)

In the Z-direction there are already springs. And collision the x and y direction with the bed should be avoidable by moving the x-endstops and getting the firmware limitations right.

I looked at the newer reprappro version, and the springs under the bed seem to be shorter.
June 10, 2013 11:32AM
Guess Ill spend an hour or so in front of the lathe later and try it.my bed seems to move loads and levelling it is a pita.
Dave
June 10, 2013 11:49AM
Multiple times I have homed Z and old plastic/drool that I had forgotten about caused the nozzle to compress the bed springs slightly. I wouldn't like to think what might eventually snap if I kept doing that without springs.

I have a nyloc nut trap bed mount on Thingiverse for the RRP Mendel - perhaps it will work with the Huxley?

Andy
June 10, 2013 01:58PM
I don't use springs on the bed. Leveling is achieved. by using M3 cap screws and nuts as a stand off that is adjustable. It's leveled as with screw jacks on shop equipment. For me it's the quickest, easiest way to do it.

I thought that springs on the bed were deprecated when the designs went from a double bed to a single bed (plus heated bed. I've landed the nozzle on the glass a few times fairly violently but have yet to break a piece as the heat bed and glass do flex somewhat.
June 10, 2013 06:37PM
I use the springs to soften the nozzle crashes

it occurs often, even being cautious.
June 10, 2013 06:56PM
vegasloki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I thought that springs on the bed were deprecated
> when the designs went from a double bed to a
> single bed (plus heated bed. I've landed the
> nozzle on the glass a few times fairly violently
> but have yet to break a piece as the heat bed and
> glass do flex somewhat.

Agreed. I'm much happier with my printer now that I've ditched the springs.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login