Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dessicator For plastic storage.

Posted by flying freak 
Dessicator For plastic storage.
July 07, 2013 02:41PM
Im curious if anyone knows of a way to get an ultra low humidity chamber that isnt too expensive , Ideally somthing around 2-3% Relative humidity. So far my only idea is a peltier unit unside a chamber, maybe use an old bar fridge as it should be reasonably air tight and large enough to store a few rolls of plastic.

I know that industrially, with dry enough nylon they can reliably achive 0.001" extrusion. I understand this cant be done with abs but if we can get dry enough nylon and have a hot end with a short enough tranistion zone and say a 0.1 mm nozzel extremly high resolutions are possible.

PC is also known to absorb alot of water so for reliability reasons storing it in very low humidity might have some advantages.
Re: Dessicator For plastic storage.
July 07, 2013 07:38PM
Here is a box a Tantillus user created to keep his filament dry. [www.forums.reprap.org] It uses a low wattage light bulb to keep the temp inside the box higher than ambient.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2013 08:37PM by Sublime.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
July 07, 2013 07:50PM
Iv seen this before and not sure what to think. On the plus side im sure it works and that it is a viable solution for most applications.

On the thread they mentioned 30-40% RH which is considerably higher then the range id like to experiment with.

Steven
July 07, 2013 07:55PM
do you just want to store it in the box or feed out of it.?

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
July 07, 2013 09:35PM
I was thinking storing. Im just not sure how to go about it.

The following calculator has me thinking : [andrew.rsmas.miami.edu]

Say timperatur is 25C and RH is 3%
Dew point is reached at -23 which might not be impossible with a peltier with a very small heat sink (if any) on the cold side and a very large one on the hot side , thoughts ?
July 07, 2013 10:30PM
i think your gonna be better off with a chemical decasent i think, i am trying to remember what the difference that peltier can achieve, if you wanted to go that rout i think one of the plugin coolers would be the way to go.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
July 07, 2013 10:43PM
you might find this handy, they might just get cooler than i thought https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10080

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
July 08, 2013 03:13AM
I bought some ammo cans off ebay. I use a small toaster oven set on low (my oven is very accurate unlike most) to dry out the nylon then store in the ammo cans that are air/water tight.

I have thought about just buying some bulk desiccant beads and pouring them over the rolls in the ammo cans. You can get the stuff in gallon and 5 gallon cans not too expensive. This is how they preserve flowers and insects.
July 08, 2013 04:46PM
tmorris9: I assume your talking about sillica dessicant THe problem with this stuff is that it doesnt absorb much water, This is especially true when trying to maintan very low humidity.

See :[www.sorbentsystems.com]

So if our goal is say 5% RH you can only use about 5% of its absorption capabilities. This means you need 20 times the amount of dessicant.

Last night i ordered a peltier unit 40mm x 40mm advertised as 130W. Going to play with it and see what I can come up with.
July 08, 2013 11:01PM
you can even run the pelt at lower temps like 5v, and it still gets quite cold.
July 08, 2013 11:27PM
Don't forget to add a heat sink to the hot side along with a fan or it can destroy itself rather quickly. I make coolers for epoxy with peltier
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login