Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is RAMPS 1.4 capable to handle 2 different materials extruders at the same time?

Posted by Optimist 
Is RAMPS 1.4 capable to handle 2 different materials extruders at the same time?
August 07, 2013 03:46PM
Hello guys!

Mechanics is a pretty known field of engagement to me,- Software and the RAMPS Hardware of the other side are rather new to dig in !

could someone tell me: is the recend RAMPS Version using Marlin or another performant intrpreter able to handle 2 Extruder ( t build supporting structure of pla and the object from ABS -> two different temperaturecontrollers - two nozzles 2 Extruders

6 Motors ( 1x 1y 2z 2exstruder ( the 2 Z axis motors / Polulus cou be controlled withthe same ports/ signals - right??)

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Hj
Re: Is RAMPS 1.4 capable to handle 2 different materials extruders at the same time?
August 07, 2013 03:49PM
You can use one pololu to drive two z-axis motors then use the remaining 2 pololu's to drive two different extruders.
Re: Is RAMPS 1.4 capable to handle 2 different materials extruders at the same time?
August 07, 2013 05:07PM
The hardware can do it. But most of your setting will be done in your slicing software.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
August 08, 2013 09:28AM
Do you think the Polulu is capable of double current for the two steppers? - I guess I will need to branch the Arduino port signals for step and dir an so drive 2 Polulus - will have to see what driver currents I need!

Is the Software (Marlin) able to set different xy offsets for 2 nozzles and to switch between the 2 extruders or would I have to programm this myself?

BR,

Hj
August 08, 2013 09:37AM
Optimist
Do you think the Polulu is capable of double current for the two steppers?

It's commonly being done. Some electronics (Gen7) have only one driver for Z axis. You don't need much torque and thus current on Z axis, because its usually geared down by threaded rods. You can wire steppers either in parallel or series.

Optimist
Is the Software (Marlin) able to set different xy offsets for 2 nozzles

I think that this is handled by slicing software.
August 08, 2013 09:41AM
Thank you for that hints! - now I will go for the active parts I need, And afterwards will restructure my static device parts!

Hansjoerg
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login