Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fan has power but wont spin?

Posted by dmglakewood 
Fan has power but wont spin?
August 07, 2013 11:26PM
I'm trying to setup my fan and I seem to be missing something. I pass the code M106 S255 and I check it with a multimeter and it says 12.x volts. I then set it to M106 S0 and it reads 0 v.

So I hook my 12v 60mm fan up and I get nothing. I check the cables and everything and try again....still nothing. So I get out my arduino and hook the fan up to the 5v lead from the adruino and boom the fan spins right up. So I know the fan works off of 5v is there a reason why it wont work off of 12v? This has been true with 3 other fans I've tried...all work with the arduino and none with the 12v from the 3d printer.
Re: Fan has power but wont spin?
August 08, 2013 05:55AM
what is the model # of the fan you are using. is it 2 or 3 pin, and if you hook it up to 12v directly are you able to get it to work?

Is there a chance it is being hooked up backwards, or too much voltage is being applied? some fans shut down if too much voltage is applied. my 12v fans don't spin at 5v, they require at least 10v.

sending the fan model # will help us troubleshoot it with you. especially as it seems the mosfet is working that should power it. with a 200 ohm resistor across the mosfet and gnd does it still show 12v across the mosfet connection?
August 08, 2013 06:10AM
My fans don't work if connected backwards, I can't think of any other issue than that one.
August 09, 2013 10:21PM
I found that the red / black wires are switched and corrected that but still nothing.

My fan is 3 pin here is the fan I bought [www.amazon.com]. The fan works if I hook it up to my computer not sure what the voltage is being sent to it though could be 12v or 5v.
August 09, 2013 10:58PM
on pc red wire is +5 V, and the yellow wire is +12 V

I have attached the data sheet for this fan. it is a 12v fan.

the color coding of fans is a bit of a loss to me. here is a web page that explains it better

[pcbheaven.com]

It seems that for once more, the manufacturers did not have the same wire provider, or their wire providers did not have the same colored-plastic provider... Two fans with 3-wire connectors may not have the same wire colors. Thus, instead of using the colors to distinguish the function, better go with the connector that is standard. No matter what color the cable has, it will be plugged in the same motherboard connector! So,as you look from the key-side of the connector, number 1 is the most left pin

:

1: Negative power supply
2: Positive power supply
3: Tacho

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2013 11:04PM by jamesdanielv.
Attachments:
open | download - FAN6X25TX3H_Datasheet.pdf (86.6 KB)
August 09, 2013 11:45PM
Thanks for the info I went ahead and tried every combination of plugs and still nothing. My multimeter is showing 12.16v could this be too high for the fan?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login