Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What kind of objects are people printing and where are they getting their files from?

Posted by JesusChrist 
Are people designing and printing their own files, or going to some online libraries to get files. If so, what libraries have the best quality files?
I've been using myminifactory.com recently and that seems to be really good
thingiverse.com
I have some more time to work on FabFabbers, if anyone finds it useful? http://www.fabfabbers.com/
A little pretentious as a forum handle, don't you think? winking smiley

MyMiniFactory.com requires someone to register to be able to download models. This is stupid, and IMO a reason why it won't work (I do not use GrabCad for the same reason). Thingiverse does not require registration to download files, only to upload them.

marcosscriven, how about changing your site title from "Home" to "FabFabbers" or something like that like I told you months ago? This does not give it credibility.

Also the ability to comment on things has been mentioned multiple times to you already.

In any case, Thingiverse has such a head start...
Most cases for me when i want to make something its not something someone else has already made. Which if I was a expert in cad 2d 3d design wouldn't be an issue. I'm learning but with lack of time / more important priorities leaves me little time to study and master design. Honestly there is a lot of awesome designs others have created that I get off thingiverse mostly.

Its so much cooler though when you can watch your own idea come to life
There definitely needs to be an alternative to thingiverse, Perhaps an STL Wiki. I don't know why reprap.org hasn't started it's own repository. It's seems like a logical thing for this site.
Re: What kind of objects are people printing and where are they getting their files from?
August 08, 2013 11:19PM
ohioplastics
Perhaps an STL Wiki. I don't know why reprap.org hasn't started it's own repository.

The RepRap Wiki has always been able to handle STL files. And there is a whole forum just to talk about projects you post on the wiki.

Check out this nice example: Sarrus linear axis with RC Servo.
I'm sorry but a wiki is definitely not designed to be an efficient object repository. And having to use a completely different and separate platform to comment (forum) on those same objects is a hindrance.

It is a hodgepodge solution, and a very lousy one at that.

A truly open source sharing platform is what I would like to see.
Re: What kind of objects are people printing and where are they getting their files from?
August 09, 2013 03:37AM
Well... if you don't like the wiki, here is a list of no less than ten different alternatives. Although admittedly some of them are not exactly up and running yet... winking smiley

What exactly do you mean by "truly open source"?

The code running the site should be open source?
The available licenses for uploaded content should be open source?
The philosophy of the people running the site should align with the open source movement?

In another thread lajos listed these reasonable criteria:

lajos
1. a standalone site with the sole purpose of a public repository where users can share their stuff
2. it's free to upload, free to download
3. some basic social features like comments, remixes, likes
4. easy to use and not an eye sore

and in this thread richrap said:

richrap
I’m personally only going to be truly happy with a RepRap.org repository for models, derivatives, source and ideas.

I think, at the moment, the RepRap wiki + forum comes closest to hitting all of these requirements. People (like Marcus) have tried to get the community here organized enough to make a new site. Here's what Marcus had to say about it in his last update:

MarcusWolschon
Nobody wanted to help and I can't do it alone. So it's abandoned.
woo
August 09, 2013 06:05AM
printing everything grinning smiley

for calibration i print all kind of stuff that i find on net.

or for example some funny stuff for wife, yestrday my doughter got porsche gt2 grinning smiley

but also a lot of prototyping designed by me, for projects, new printer ets, thats the reason why i have printer.
Sorry - perhaps I did not understand the philosopy or the spirit behind the whole printing hype

Do you all do this devices to print things, others designed? No a bit of own creativity,- te will to be creator of YOUR dreams not to copy those of others!

Perhaps I missunderstood everyting here, but everyone is talking about libraries and where to get which STL model.

Does it make sense to own a printer without having any clue about CAD works.

From the workflow side creation comes before manufacturing!

Perhaps I sould either start a business on modelling for money or teaching CAD...

Sorry this should not be an offense to anyone, but I have to say that I'm a little bit confused!

Hansjoerg
Some people enjoy building and fiddling with 3D printers.

Some people enjoy download and printing other people's objects.

Some people enjoy designing their own objects.

Some people enjoy two or three of the above!

Everyone has their own idea of fun. Simple as that. smileys with beer

Andy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2013 08:15AM by ajayre.
MattMoses
What exactly do you mean by "truly open source"?

The code running the site should be open source?
The available licenses for uploaded content should be open source?
The philosophy of the people running the site should align with the open source movement?

Sorry, I should have been more explicit. What I had in mind was #1 and #3. Of course the people uploading content would not have to provide their objects on an open source license, but it should be promoted.

IMHO the platform itself being open source is the only way we can be certain of the platform's authors intentions and its sustainability. Why not a distributed platform such as Friendica with anyone willing setting up his own server... But I fear I'm dreaming awake here.

MattMoses
In another thread lajos listed these reasonable criteria:

I'm OK with that, with a 5th criteria being an open source platform.

MattMoses
I think, at the moment, the RepRap wiki + forum comes closest to hitting all of these requirements.

Not by a long shot, read those criteria again.
3. some basic social features: nope (searching for those STL on the wiki is a PITA, comments separate of the objects page itself, it's terrible on that point
4. easy to use and not an eye sore: definitely NOT either of those points!

I'm familiar with two wiki engines (MediaWiki and DokuWiki) as contributor and (once) administrator, they are not designed as object repositories and I strongly feel they will never be good at this.

MarcusWolschon
Nobody wanted to help and I can't do it alone. So it's abandoned.

I'm sorry to hear that but from what I've been able to understand from a quick look, that help exclusively required coding. I am not a coder and will never be, and as someone who dedicates a big chunk of his free time to an open source project (FreeCAD), I can tell you that sadly, only a very minute part of the potential users for a project will be willing to contribute their time to it.
NormandC
> I'm sorry to hear that but from what I've been
> able to understand from a quick look, that help
> exclusively required coding. I am not a coder and
> will never be, and as someone who dedicates a big
> chunk of his free time to an open source project
> (FreeCAD), I can tell you that sadly, only a very
> minute part of the potential users for a project
> will be willing to contribute their time to it.

Yet those same people that don't code demand that others who can do something. It's easy to exude platitudes of open source but a large benefit f that model is the ability to make something that meets ones needs. If you can't code then either learn how or lead a project.
vegasloki,

I am insulted at how condescending you are toward people who cannot code. It is not the only way to contribute to an open source project.

I am not a programmer and even if I wanted to, I simply cannot learn coding. I don't have the brain for it. But I am an experienced CAD user and I contribute to the FreeCAD project by

1) helping new users (I'm the second most prolific poster on the FreeCAD forum after one of the main 3 devs, and before the others!) with a huge majority of my posts helping people, not asking for help
2) contributing to the software documentation in wiki form
3) maintaining the FreeCAD PPA repository which hosts up-to-date packages for Ubuntu. I occasionally need help from one of the devs when something needs be changed in the source code
4) translating the software in another language
5) sharing insight on software usability to the devs as an end user (the FreeCAD devs welcome this kind of input)

Some of these points free the devs so they can have more time coding.

And there are plenty of other ways to contribute to any open source project. But I suppose in your shallow and binary point of view, these kinds of contributions are worthless. The "if you can't code, you're nothing" attitude in the open source world is its worst enemy.
NormandC
The "if you can't code, you're nothing" attitude in the open source world is its worst enemy.

thumbs up Agree - we need editors, designers, artists, musicians, and etcetera. A world full of programmers would be a very dull place.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login