Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Volumetric extrusion?

Posted by Ralf 
Volumetric extrusion?
August 22, 2013 04:43PM
Is there a reason to why almost no one (so it seems), is using volumetric extrusion, instead of the classic way of having both e-steps and filament diameter.

I followed Triffid Hunters exellent guide long ago, and I can't imagine to ever turn away from volumetric extrusion.

Of course you can make perfectly fine prints regardless of which method you are using, but the thing that you only have one parameter to tune when using volumetric extrusion, is imho. way more elegant.

One thing that really appeals to me, is the possibility of using the same g-code, with multiple filaments and printers, just by updating your e-steps with M92 Exx. Not that you can't do that, when not using volumetric extrusion, but if you go down that road, your e-steps will turn in to a fuzzy number derived from the filament diameter, and how much your hobbed bolt digs into the filament.
Re: Volumetric extrusion?
August 22, 2013 05:42PM
Are you talking about using steps/volume instead of steps/mm and diameter? To get steps/volume you would still need to know steps/mm and diameter, right?

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
Re: Volumetric extrusion?
August 23, 2013 01:50AM
Steps/volume..

To convert to volumetric extrusion, you set a fixed diameter in your slicer, eqial to a area of 1 mm2, and divide your steps/mm with the area of the filament you are using, for 3mm filament it is ~7.

This way your steps/mm effectively turns into steps/mm3.

You will also need to multiply max feedrate and retraction with filament area.

You will still need to tune e-steps, but you only have one variable, and this variable represent how many steps it takes to extrude 1 mm3 of material.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login