Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Portabee print bed CANNOT hit 110°C

Posted by JamesRX 
Portabee print bed CANNOT hit 110°C
August 20, 2013 07:02AM
My Portabee printer works well in printing PLA.
When I tried to use ABS, the print bed temperature stay in around 63°C after I pre-heat the bed to 110°C for over half an hour.

Then I found an article in vrforums.com:
"...Portabee might have problems with getting 110°C for the print bed and 210°C for the hot end to print ABS due to shortage of power from the stock PSU and requires an upgrade, ..."

I sent couple emails to Portabee for the solution and got NO reply. I really disappointed for the poor after sell service and technical support.

Please help,
James
Re: Portabee print bed CANNOT hit 110°C
August 20, 2013 07:47AM
I don't have a portabee but from personal experience, if I have a fan or breeze blowing on my print bed sometimes it struggles getting to the right temperature
August 20, 2013 10:32AM
my portabee don't have print bed cooling fan installed. I even turned off all air-con in the room when I try to fix that… It stays in the PLA operating temperature 63°C should mean something I guess.
August 20, 2013 12:05PM
How powerful is your power supply? Have you tried swapping it out with an ATX (or similar) computer power supply? The stock Power Supply Unit (PSU) may not have sufficient wattage to do the job.

Other printers are sold as "PLA only" unless you add your own, larger, ATX-type PSU.

Personally, I was fascinated by the Portabee design and the high-quality documentation provided. I hope you find the solution. -Phuzzy Logic
August 20, 2013 12:31PM
I had the same problem until I placed a load (an old HDD) on the 5v rail of my ATX power supply. The shipped laptop-size PSU died on me.
August 20, 2013 01:54PM
Yeah get a higher amp PSU tongue sticking out smiley
August 21, 2013 12:30AM
The power of the shipped laptop-size PSU was 12V/10A /w efficiency level 5.
What power should I upgrade to make the Gen6.d board work?
Cos the hot end can work at ABS temperature but the bed stay in PLA temp.
Would it be any setting problem or jumper needed to change?

That's what Portabee said in their web site:
120x120x120mm Build Volume -
Heated platform (printbed) included as standard -
Fully featured portable 3D printer -
Print with PLA and ABS -

I thought it should work well /w both materials at the beginning... sad smiley
August 21, 2013 05:07PM
JamesRX-

Printrbot ships their Simple printer with a lightweight laptop power supply. To print ABS, you have to use an ATX power supply. A 400-500 watt ATX supply should be enough. If you have an old computer, you can pull out the power supply (486 or later model). Or, you can spend $15-$50 dollars on the web for a new-in-box model.

I think your laptop model PSU is about 120 watts. The connection may differ when adapting an ATX supply, also.

I have been planning to print out the Portabee and purchase the hardware piece by piece. The shipping from Asia was really high.

Good Luck. -Phuzzy
September 01, 2013 01:31AM
You can also try getting led power supply such as:

[www.ebay.com]
September 02, 2013 07:26PM
zhenning Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You can also try getting led power supply such
> as:
>
> [www.ebay.com]
> ower-supply-DC-LED-Transformer-for-Led-Strip-/1109
> 81848356?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d7089d24

I second this. They are cheap and easy to hook up. My 30A PSU has never given me any trouble.
September 03, 2013 02:34PM
I can also stand by the led power supply, although i did have the thermal fuse burn out, but it was because I accidentally unscrewed the heatsync for a couple of the big transistors inside the case.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login