Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

pulling my hair out over slic3r .9.10 support material

Posted by charlieRC 
pulling my hair out over slic3r .9.10 support material
September 14, 2013 11:39AM
Slic3r .9.10 seems to disregard the support spacing settings. I typically will set my support from 2.5mm to 5mm depending on what I am supporting. With this new version of Slic3r, it does not seem to matter what I put in for support spacing. I get what seems to be a random spacing, typically very vary small. I tried making the spacing larger and every time I print the spacing my increase, decrease, or stay the same, but I can't get it much larger than about 1.5mm which is way to small for what I am trying do...not to mention the print time goes through the roof.

Has anyone successfully adjusted support material spacing in slic3r .9.10?????

The reason I changed to the new version was that it finally seems to handle some of my larger STL files.
Re: pulling my hair out over slic3r .9.10 support material
September 14, 2013 02:46PM
What platform are you using? Windows? I use OS x and a lot of the support options are broken. Using Cura instead to do a lot of stuff when it requires support
September 14, 2013 03:08PM
I am using windows. Not familiar with Cura. Is there a windows version
September 14, 2013 03:29PM
charlieRC Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am using windows. Not familiar with Cura. Is
> there a windows version

It's cross-platform. Check it out: [software.ultimaker.com]

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
September 14, 2013 04:35PM
Actually, I downloaded it and tried to install, but something weird happened. My machine became very latent and slow to repond. Nothing ever came up. I may download it again in case something went south on the download, but I would like to hear from someone who is using it on windows safely. This I my main machine for work as well as fun, so I can't afford to have it take a dump on me.
September 14, 2013 06:23PM
I think it's broken (support material spacing) in Slic3r 0.9.10b

I had it generating support material that was so dense it was solid. The spacing seems to relate to the angle of the surface it's supporting. Hopefully we'll get a fix soon.

Rob
September 14, 2013 06:52PM
I seem not to be able to go back to the previous version either. I tried running 0.9.8 that was still on my machine and it ran 0.9.10 anyway. I guess something got overwritten in the old folder even though I installed 10 in a new folder.

Crap

Hope they get it fixed soon.
September 15, 2013 08:27AM
Boy is my face red!!!

Turns out I was impatient. Although I can't seem to control the first layer support material spacing, all other layers seem to behave as they should. I guess the new version prints a 1 layer raft with a tight pattern, but then subsequent layers follow the specified criteria.

My apologies to the Gods of Spic3r and anyone else I may have mislead.

Charlie
September 16, 2013 08:19AM
No, slicer support settings are very broken right now. Not only does the "overhang threshold" not work, but the "enforce support for the first" option doesn't work either.

Looks like you found another bug with it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login