Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New to CNC...but handy. smiling smiley

Posted by 3Dsigns 
New to CNC...but handy. smiling smiley
November 11, 2013 03:45PM
I'm a graphics designer/sign artist by trade and use CNC machines like plotters and routers in my work. I'm also in the process of building my very first CNC project which will be a hotwire foam cutter. I'm kind of designing it as I go along using 80/20 aluminum extrusion I was fortunate enough to get at a bargain price. Here's my first controller and steppers being tested. [www.facebook.com]
Anyway, I would like to get into 3D printers too and want to know which is the most economical route to take. I want something with a heated bed, hardened rods and whatever else would make it trouble free. I see a Prusa kit on Ebay which is at $330 right now but I'm sure it will go higher. I would also consider buying parts or separate 'kits' to keep from spending too much. I'm assuming the Mendel Prusa would be the best way to get my feet wet? And if you were building one, would you buy a 'kit' off ebay or is there a more economical route?
Thanks for reading!
Wayne

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2013 04:01PM by 3Dsigns.
Re: New to CNC...but handy. smiling smiley
November 11, 2013 04:04PM
Hmm....$330 doesn't sound right for any "complete" Prusa kit. I'd double check that. You should be looking in the $600 range for a full kit with a decent build volume. I recommend you take a look at the Printrbot line of printers (with the exception of the simple) or the Prusa i3 from Makerfarm. Both would be really good printers to get started with.
November 11, 2013 04:13PM
That printerbot looks interesting. Plywood frame?
Is it possible to get the vector files? if so I could cut those parts out on my CNC router.
Thanks kdog

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2013 04:18PM by 3Dsigns.
November 11, 2013 08:05PM
November 11, 2013 08:49PM
Now that was very kind of you!
Thanks kdog!
November 12, 2013 04:11AM
Have you seen this CNC? I have one coming next month. Have no idea how to use it but am looking forward to learning.

[www.inventables.com]
November 12, 2013 11:06AM
Nice.
I like the way the x axis is extendable.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login