Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Box/ cabinet design for silent printing

Posted by Edvardas 
Box/ cabinet design for silent printing
November 24, 2013 12:39PM
I want to build a box for my prusa i3. Goal is to make printing more silent.
Want to make it from wood. Will probably use one plate on the botom and then easily removable shell on the outside for ease of maintenance and bed calibrating.
I am figuring which parts to leave inside. Wont motors overheat while being in a box? They get pretty hot already. Should I put arduino/ramps outside? Where would you put 12v 30a powder supply?
I have 40mm fan. Maybe it should be mounted on the side of the box to get some airflow in and out? Would that drastically increase the sound I get from printer?

Post your suggestions.
Thanks
Re: Box/ cabinet design for silent printing
November 24, 2013 01:16PM
I've been planning something like this for my printrbot Jr. I would say the motors will be fine but you should check their voltages if they are already getting hot. The electronics should definitely be on the outside though.

You need to make where it is sealed up. Sound will find any tiny little crack to get out.

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
November 24, 2013 01:39PM
Motors are nema 17 and they are set at 0.4V +/- 0.01V. They get really hot but I can rest my hand on them so that is okey I guess?

I am not into making a printer completely silent actually. I just want to drop sound so it would not disturb me.
November 24, 2013 03:08PM
I built a wooden enclosure for my MendelMax, to keep it warm and reduce the smell of the ABS

It does make the printer quieter, but I think if sound reduction is your goal, you are going to need to use foam sheets inside the enclosure on all sides to absorb the sound, however I'm not sure of the long term effects of abs fumes etc on foam rubber.

My motors don't get particularly hot, so I've not needed to put fans on them p, so far.

PSU fans are quite noisy, if you want to reduce noise you may need to investigate PSUs that are quieter.

Re:location of PSU and electronics.

I put mine in a separate space inside the enclosure, which is divided off from the printer and also gets air from outside the enclosure, as the inside temp is around 15deg higher than the room temp after an hour of printing, and putting the PSU inside would both stress it and also greatly increase the internal temperature
November 25, 2013 01:19AM
Get yourself some dampers for your motors. Astrosyn out of the UK sells some for Nema17 motors. Drastically cuts noise.
December 06, 2013 09:29AM
Astrosyn had dampers out of stock for a last couple of weeks and I was going to make a copy of their dampers. Have piece of rigid 4mm thick rubber and was going to print a copy of those metal brackets with ABS. However, this morning I printed these [www.thingiverse.com] and it lovered sound by about 90%. Now fan on power supply is louder than a printer. I must say that printers should have these incorporated into design. Amazing difference.
December 06, 2013 09:44AM
As long as the motors and electronics are not damaged, a high temp may be good for the printing process.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login