Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Simulated Arduino and 3D Printer

Posted by tophstar 
Simulated Arduino and 3D Printer
December 10, 2013 11:28PM
Hi All,

I wasn't sure where to post this question, so hopefully it's appropriate for the General Discussion. I am basically trying to set up a test environment where I can simulate sending a print job to a virtualized Arduino that is connected to a virtual 3D printer. The simulation of an Arduino looks straight forward (http://arduinosim.sourceforge.net/ looks like a solution), but get a virtual printer seems less straight forward.

Any thoughts?

Best Regards
Re: Simulated Arduino and 3D Printer
December 10, 2013 11:50PM
??? printer firmware on arduino ????

Print job
STL file -----> Slicer ------> G-code -----> G-code interpreter ------> drivers -------> printer move

Data out of Arduino would be analog outputs for direction and steps to motors ------> virtual print?

so you are looking for something to take analog outputs for direction and steps to motors to a print????

Good Luck?

Repetier-Host

Software that runs on PC to run printer.
Has a mode that will visual show a print without printing
sort of test run

Repetier-host takes G-code and visualizes it as if it were print
December 11, 2013 02:57AM
while I havent seen anyone do this yet I have seen similar things done with blender. simulating a robot on the screen and then controling the robotic simulation. It also might be posible to create a openscad of the printer or utilize the mendel90 open scad files and adjust the arduino simulator outputs to cotrol the scad simulation.
December 11, 2013 04:12AM
For the physical simulation this could be useful : The breve Simulation Environment

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
December 11, 2013 02:30PM
What exactly do you want to test?

If you are thinking of something that will validate 3D designs or any part of the software chain I think you will find it a major challenge. Simulating real-time computing is by no means simple.

...R
December 11, 2013 08:34PM
Thank you for the replies!

Currently I am with out my 3D printer, but I would like to work on simulate connecting the printer up to auto print (for example [github.com]). I need software that will automatically do what the Repetier-Host accomplishes manually. If this means writing the code then I am happy to get to work on it, but I require a test environment.

Here are my requirements for:

1. Create a deamon/server program that will accept an stl file.
2. Sclice it up into gcode
3. Push it out to the Arduino and Print

I just want to be able to do this with out actually being hooked up to a printer, so I can out software (such as the Repetier-Server).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login