Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Idea for quick release from heated bed

Posted by bill84 
Idea for quick release from heated bed
January 26, 2014 09:33PM
Has anyone tried to freeze the printed part, with compressed air, to release it from the heated bed? You could turn a can of endust(compressed air) upside down to freeze spray the object, if you were in a hurry to print another part. It might crack the glass, but if you just spray the object I think it would work?
Re: Idea for quick release from heated bed
January 26, 2014 10:03PM
I think what most people do is have a spare piece of glass so they can easily and quickly change out the glass and run the next print.

For detaching the print, I have heard of people putting their surface in the freezer for a few minutes.

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
January 26, 2014 10:40PM
This is evaporative cooling using the compound used to pressurize the can. I don't know exactly what it is you would be spraying all over but it might be important for you to look into it first and make sure there are no inhalation hazards on the safety data sheet. While the cooling may be quick and effective, there could be a trade-off of respiratory irritation.
January 26, 2014 11:26PM
What's on the surface and what's the plastic?

I still use the old fashioned (by now) PET tape on heated glass for printing ABS. With this, parts as large as 100mmx100mm or so in x and y release easily once cold.

When I used to print PLA on heated glass, I never had an issue with it releasing once cooled to room temperature.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2014 11:27PM by brnrd.
January 27, 2014 04:18PM
I use ABS, hairspray on glass, and the object usually pops free by itself at between 35-45 degrees. I was just thinking if you didn't want to wait for it to cool down, then heat back up to print again. Or possibly have to re-level the bed if swapping out the glass. Save a few minutes.
The compressed air I'm thinking of is used on keyboards/etc to blow away dust and debris, so I don't think there are major inhalation concerns. If you flip the can upside down, and spray, you get ice cold air. Other options would be products sold at auto parts store to spray on rusted/seized bolts, causing it to freeze, contract, and loosen its bond, or other products used to freeze warts/skin tags off of skin.
I'll try it on my next failed print...
January 27, 2014 05:23PM
i've normally got several pieces of glass with a good layer of hair spray on them, when the print is done i put the glass in the freezer and a short time later the part falls off

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

January 27, 2014 06:08PM
I would be worried about shattering the glass doing it that way, you woild create a very cold small spot on a hot sheet of glass. The quick shrinking of that spot might be enough to pop it.
January 27, 2014 10:01PM
Why not try just using a fan to blow air over the bed? I think this id done on the Mendel90
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login