Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Best 8mm smooth rod?

Posted by tmorris9 
Best 8mm smooth rod?
January 25, 2014 11:02PM
Found my printers smooth rod on the carriage is grooved from the linear bearings. What is the best material to use for smooth rods to help reduce wear?

Is just hardened steel good or is something like stainless or chromed better? Also is there a good source in the U.S.? Mcmaster seems to have hardened but not much else.

Thanks!
Re: Best 8mm smooth rod?
January 25, 2014 11:08PM
i don't tend to find the groove is much a problem, i have in the past simple turned the rods

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

January 26, 2014 06:29AM
Hardchromed rods! Yeehaawww! winking smiley

I ordered them at a special linear-rod and bearing factory here in the Netherlands. I can imagine there are companies like that in the US.
January 26, 2014 07:39AM
Ohmarinus
Hardchromed rods! Yeehaawww! winking smiley

I ordered them at a special linear-rod and bearing factory here in the Netherlands. I can imagine there are companies like that in the US.

Could you tell me the name of this company?
January 26, 2014 08:30AM
I bought them from www.thn.nl however, I can tell you, it won't be very cheap winking smiley Quality items!

All rods for the MendelMax 1.5 together, all 8mm rods, cost me 48 euros and delivery cost were 7 euros (inside the Netherlands) so the rods cost me a total of ~55 euros. This includes the cost for cutting the rods (2,50 for each cut, since the rods are ultra-hard). This split up to the rods costing ~33 euros and the cutting cost being 15 euros.

However, if you buy this, you will have high quality, precision rods that are meant for linear movement. You can also buy cheap rods and replace them every year. I was a bit sceptical when I saw the price, but the LM8UU bearings also make less noise on the chromed rods. This in comparison to a lot of noise from the cheaper normal smooth rods I bought at a 3D-printer shop, with the same type of linear bearings. I guess this has to do with the precision of the rod. Where a normal 'cheap' smooth rod may have small irregularities that are hard to see with the bare eye, these linear chromed rods have been made with high optical precision and they are also less prone to bending over lengthy pieces since they are harder.
January 26, 2014 11:00AM
I think VXB's rods are chromed and reasonably priced. They do not have a tolerance spec, but that's only a problem if you're trying to match them with a bearing that needs that spec. For LMXUU it doesn't matter.
January 26, 2014 11:26AM
Would you have a link to VXB's rods iquizzle? I'd like to see them smiling smiley
January 26, 2014 11:29AM
For ordinary chrome-plated rods, you can try misumi or igus.

If you're feeling experimental and adventurous, try igus' polymer bearings with their aluminum rods. There is much lower wear but not too sure how well it works in reality.
January 26, 2014 11:51AM
I will never buy IGUS unless they come down with the price. I have found good suppliers that care for their products just as much and can offer the same quality without compromises.

However, I do really like the inventions IGUS is making on the linear guidance market.
January 26, 2014 06:15PM
I ordered some chrome hardened rods from VXB (I have used them many times in the past for other bearings). Funny thing is I could not find them on their website but rather they sell them through Amazon [www.amazon.com]

Oh and they were $16.64for 406mm and the normal hardened ones I was looking at though Mcmaster Carr were $24.xx for 400mm.

Thanks for the info!
January 27, 2014 10:29PM
Rod came in. Cut and installed. All is good again.

I posted a photo of the groovy rod in case anyone is curious, I know people have seen this before but just thought I would share.
Attachments:
open | download - Groovey.jpg (31.9 KB)
January 28, 2014 12:24PM
Those rods you bought will probably last you a lifetime smiling smiley Good choice! Bit more expensive than mine I think, however, shipping must've been lower for you/
January 28, 2014 03:43PM
I got them off Amazon with Amazon prime so 2 day shipping was free.

On a side note, my printer has never been this quiet.
January 28, 2014 04:29PM
tmorris9
I got them off Amazon with Amazon prime so 2 day shipping was free.

On a side note, my printer has never been this quiet.

Imagine using A4988 stepper drivers to make it quieter and then adding bronze bushings instead of LM8UU and you'll have a completely silent printer! You will only hear the cooling fans winking smiley

But actually I can also barely hear the LM8UU bearings, they are also super-quiet, a BIG difference from my other printer that uses the same bearings but cheapo linear rods..

One more thing, I have positioned all bearings in such a fashion that the gravity always pulls on 2 rows of balls. Do you understand? This helps spread the load evenly over the LM8UU linear bearing-balls. I feel like it will minimize wear even more.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login