Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Nozzle hitting the last object layer and detach it (using brim)

Posted by daniel.jimenez 
Nozzle hitting the last object layer and detach it (using brim)
January 28, 2014 12:46PM
Hi

I am printing multiple gear objetcs on a plate and when the nozzle and looks like the nozzle is hiting the object when it enter its perimeter.
I am running the printer as fast as I can, and you can clearly hear the collition between the last layer and the nozzle when it enters the perimeter.
The printing is ok for larger objects, but for the objects with small footprint the nozzle will eventually detach them from the bed

But since the nozzle is lifted 0.3 on this new layer the nozzle should not touch the last layer, this is not a problem with just one object,

Could this be that the layers gets wrapped alittle in the time that the other objects layers are printed?
Should I slow down the printing and/or travel to minimize the force and prevent the little foodfrint objects detach?
Have you ever had this problem, how do you deal with this?

SW and FW: Slic3r, pronterface, Marlin
Printing: 100mm/s
Travel: 150mm/s
Layer height: 0.3mm
Using abs juice to attach the objects
Using 7mm brim

Kind regards
Victor Jimenez
Re: Nozzle hitting the last object layer and detach it (using brim)
January 28, 2014 04:55PM
could be warping, or bending of part from the nozzle. treat the nozzle as always dragging across the surface. do you have good cooling, and how long does each layer take to finish? if it takes less than 30 seconds to finish a layer then material extruded may have not properly cooled. slow down your print with cool options.

a picture says 1000 words here, and video even more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2014 04:55PM by jamesdanielv.
Re: Nozzle hitting the last object layer and detach it (using brim)
January 28, 2014 05:19PM
Sometimes my nozzle drags on the first print when I haven't calibrated the Z-height well enough, however, I just designed and printed a much better Z-height calibration piece and now it's very stable and I don't have that problem anymore. So it could be your Z-height of the first layer isn't correct and then the printer outputs too much plastic and after that, on the second layer, it will hit and scrape the first layer because the printer *thinks* it goes up for example a 0.3mm while in reality it is less because the nozzle was too close to the printbed to start with.

For me the range of problems in my printer would be in order of importance:
1. Extruder and hotend calibration (this is the 'heart', the most important part)
2. First-layer Z-height calibration (this is the 'ground', the base of your prints)
3. Print temperature calibration (this is the 'blood' that the 'heart' pumps around)
4. Heatbed temperature calibration (this is the base for the 'ground', if it's bad you print on dust and it falls off, if it is good you print on concrete and it sticks like mad)
5. Print speed calibration (this is your 'heartbeat', too fast and you pass out, too slow and you pass out, too fast, your prints will lose shape, motors will lose steps etc, too slow and your prints might come out saggy and deformed, however, too slow is less worse than too fast)
6. Bridging calibration (this is just an extra, but when your printer bridges correctly, it is much more of a breeze to print objects without support, because if you can bridge well, support structures aren't always needed. Good bridging also helps printing items with overhang. If your nozzle is not pointing straight down, your overhang might stick to the nozzle too, so make sure everything is square)

I hope that helps. And if anyone disagrees, just add/change to whatever you think is more important smiling smiley I might have forgotten stuff.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login